Heated front Windscreen project for Mk 1, 2 & 3 (Group Buy)

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Heated front Windscreen project for Mk 1, 2 & 3 (Group B

Postby Alan D. » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:33 pm

Yes, I have two screens left.

PM me for a telephone number.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Alan D. » Mon May 13, 2013 10:17 pm

Tips for fitting a heated front screen:

Just a note to mention the 3 golden rules when fitting the new Mk4 heated windscreen. Rick, did say that any decent fitter would do this in any case but just to be sure:

1, Paint 3 layers of etch primer (glass) around the edge of the screen. This is to stop water from ever seeping in between the layers of glass. On a normal screen this results in a milky discoloration but no harm. On a heated screen the elements corrode and it stops working.

2. As you fit the screen, align the wires upwards into the field of vision, put glue between the wires and the glass within the masked off area, fit the screen to the shell and then bend the wires back down to the dash for their electrical connection. This ensures that there are no cavities in the glue area around the wires allowing for air or water leaks.

3. Each screen has 2 separate heating elements, 1 on the left and 1 on the right, hence 2 pairs of wires. Each element requires a +12 volt supply and an earth. It doesn't matter which of the wires is which. Rick has a example wiring diagram on his website. When designing your electrical circuit, do not connect it directly to the battery, use a switch. Rick also recommended including a tell-tale lamp to say that the screen was on, taking the supply from the switched ignition so that it doesn't flatten your battery by mistake. It was suggested a better solution might be a timed switch so that the screen only stays on for a minute or so, they draw a lot of current but can work very quickly to demist a screen.

One screen left.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Geoff Butcher » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:40 pm

Oh dear, oh dear, I've just had my screen re-sealed and now the heater doesn't work... :evil:
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Alan D. » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:17 pm

Hello All,

I still have two Mk 1, 2 or 3 heated front screens available, I'm intending putting these screens on E Bay at a price of £265, the normal price is £240. I need to add a bit on to cover the E bay fees, so if anyone from this forum wants a screen, £240 is the forum price. These will probable be the last two screens available, as I need to place an order for about 20 screens to procure a further batch. I believe that there are no more Fiat 126 screens available anywhere. The reason I'm going the E bay wrought, is I would like these screens out of my garage and if the Midas community is not interested the Fiat 126 community might be. So this is the last call to Midas owners. I intend to put them on E Bay in about two weeks.

PM me if you are interested.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Alan D. » Wed May 21, 2014 10:01 am

Hello All,

Just been sorting the "too hard to do" pile of papers on the corner of my desk and I found a sticker that was attached to a new plain Fiat 126 front screen, which I had at one time. I purchased this screen in March 2006, when they were readily available.

The relevant Fiat part number is: 3328 CL.

I've recorded the information on this site, so I can now throw the sticker away!

This is the screen to fit the Midas Mark 1,2 or 3.

I've done a search and none seem to be available in the UK, but there seems to be plenty in Russia!

I still have one HFS available.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby AllanH » Wed May 21, 2014 9:58 pm

Through Alan D's help I've a new heated screen to put in.
In planning the wiring circuit, can anyone advise the current draw/fusing (either per side or the two sides together).
I suspect it's quite a draw (25 amps per side ????) and was considering swithching the timer relay output to driver or passenger side.
Sorry, can't find any clues to this anywhere on the forum.
Look forward to hearing

AllanH
AllanH

Postby Alan D. » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:10 pm

I've had two enquiries for heated front screens, but I only have three left, which I was keeping for my own projects, so don't really want to part with them. It would appear the Fiat 126 front screen is no longer available in the UK. So I was wondering if there was enough interest to do another order. So no prices or delivery as yet just gauging interest, so let me know via this post if you are interested. If I do another order this will be the last one, so examine your front screen and make a decision. If you screen is delaminating with age it may have a limited life.
Alan D.
Alan D.

Postby l_jonez » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:01 pm

I'd be interested in one
l_jonez

Postby benofbrum » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:33 pm

My Mk1 screen is laminated and also has a number of scratches, so yes please.
benofbrum

Postby benofbrum » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:40 pm

I meant to say the screen was toughened, so on two counts, I would like to replace it. Since I want to replace it anyway, it might be sensible to buy 2 to give me a spare.
benofbrum

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat