Heated front Windscreen project for Mk 1, 2 & 3 (Group Buy)

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Heated front Windscreen project for Mk 1, 2 & 3 (Group Buy)

Postby Alan D. » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:38 pm

Hello all,

Just in case you thought that I had forgotten about this project. Well I hope to get it going again after next week is out. I'm at London this weekend renovating my daughter's flat, then I hope that I am clear of chores and ready to start car building again.

The nights are getting longer and I hope the days will be getting warmer soon.

I don't no how many of the old Midas forum brigade have transferred to this site, so perhaps you could add a short message to this post, indicating your interest, and of course anyone else who wants to participate.

There were 18 people interested prior to Christmas.

If anybody from the prior posts on Hans's website do not respond. I will send them a private post, just so they don't miss out.

Regards Alan
Last edited by Alan D. on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan D.

Re: Heated front Windscreen project (Group Buy)

Postby manifold » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:54 pm

Count me in Alan.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Re: Heated front Windscreen project for Mk 1, 2 & 3 (Group Buy)

Postby Alan D. » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:07 pm

Hello all,

Just an update on the progress of the project. I've spoken to the supplier, who is a very informed and helpful man. The first thing that he checked, was to see if he had tooling available, his initially enquires seemed to indicate that all is well there. But we do have to give him to dimensions to check. The other thing which Hans mentioned was that some screens fit better than others. Does anyone have any experience of this? The other thing he is going to confirm the price, as the initial price was an estimate. But in view of the quantity ( 22 so far) we are ordering I don't think this will be a problem.

The screens would probable be coming from Spain with a six to eight weeks lead time!

We would pay a £50 deposit on each screen with the balance payable the week before arrival. Payment vehicle to be arranged, probably cheque to someone, who would then pay him, which is what he would prefer.

He would be prepared to deliver all of the screens to one site in his van for free. So this means we would need a Midas gathering somewhere in the middle of the country. If we could this done in time for Stoneliegh, that would be ideal!

He can deliver to you personally at about £40-50 insured on the UK mainland and it would be about £150 (GBP) to say Germany, again insured.

So whats next, well for me opening rear quarter lights, this supplier may be able to help me with this, and I would like to look at sound proofing, does anyone have experience of sound proofing. We could start another thread on that. Real fantasy land would be air conditioning!

I've spoken to him about a new proper rear heated hatch, He is going to work out a price. I would have to provide him with a sample to work from. I do have a hatch which I can use. Does anyone know of any issues with the hatch, do we have to make any changes or amendments to the original, now is the time to speak out!

So there we are, we will nearly have an all year round usable car, which doesn't rust! It also will not be deprecating anymore, I hope! So cancel your order for your new Merc!

The order book is not closed so if anybody else wants to join in, your welcome.

Alan
Last edited by Alan D. on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alan D.

Postby manifold » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:57 pm

Sounds great to me Alan. Let me know when you or whoever want the deposit.

Might consider a heated rear screen later. My heated element doesnt exist anymore....ie its been wiped off because its that old.....

Cheers,

David

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Alan D. » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:25 pm

Hi everybody,

I have received an email from Rick our windscreen supplier.

Copy below

[[color=#008000]i]Hi Alan

I can confirm that the cost on the fiat 127 in clear heated would be £149.00 +vat

There is another price increase coming on the 1st march so I can only offer to keep this until the end of this month. I have managed to confirm that these screens fit ok as the company making them still sell standard ones to fiat after sales so they must be spot on. If you want to go ahead please let me know ASAP

Best regards

Rick
[/color][/i]

I don't think that is too onerous , a total price of £169.05 for a brand new Ford type heated front screen!

Anybody got any further thoughts!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Geoff Butcher » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:29 pm

Go for it!
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby manifold » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:11 pm

Sounds great Alan.

I will have 2 (one as a backup........................). ;)

Whose taking the £50 deposits?

Cheers,

David.

manifold

Postby Alan D. » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:27 am

Hi David,

Geoff: I've just noticed your post I'm in full agreement, let's, Go for it!

Your extra screen is noted. That's now 23 orders!

I haven't sorted out about deposits as yet. That is the next move. Ricky the supplier doesn't really want the money until the screens are well on the way. But he advised me to get a deposit from everyone, to show commitment!

I can take the deposits if you like, I'm quite used to handling money as I ran Post Offices for twenty odd years. But I'm quite happy if someone else is the treasurer. It's just a matter of having a spare bank account and keeping records, because if you are self employed, you need to be able to justify the deposits, if the revenue inspector ever calls!

There will eventually be some £4000 in the pot.

So do we have any volunteers? I think we should really get a move on, to beat the 1st March price increase.

Can everyone in the group please voice an opinion on this site please or volunteer for the post!

Tomorrow I'm going to nip up to the garages to measure a rear hatch and email the dimensions to Ricky, so he can quote for new heated rear hatches.

Come on don't be shy, lets hear what you think. This is probably the first major upgrade on the car, since Richard Oaks designed it!

Oh, by the way tomorrow I'll update the group email and send my last two posts to everyone individually, just in case anyone hasn't found this site!

Regards Alan
Alan D.

Postby Luckyun » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:41 pm

Alan
Count me in for one

Lucien 07788 992001
Luckyun

Postby Alan D. » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:22 pm

Hi Lucien,

That's done, now 25 orders. We will probably need a £50 deposit next week, and the balance of about £120 in a further 6 or 7 weeks.

Alan
Alan D.

Next

Return to General Chat