Forum Backups

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Forum Backups

Postby manifold » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:56 am

Anyone want to volunteer to do a weekly forum backup?

Fortunately I did a separate backup from the server as a one off exercise but we lost some data. Most forums suffer this occasionally, unfortuantely. Usually due to hack attacks though.

Following the loss of just over 2 weeks data it would be handy if we had someone to volunteer to do a weekly backup off system away from my server (ie to your hard drive) of the forum. Its really easy to do and doesnt take up lots of room. Then if it happens again we can restore to a close time point.
Cheers,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Re: Forum Backups

Postby Alan D. » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:32 pm

Hi David,

Does it take up much memory?

The other thing which I was thinking about is: Does running this forum incur you any cost? If it does then we should work out a way to compensate you!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby manifold » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:06 pm

Hi Alan.

No the forum doesnt incur much of a cost. My new hard drive has 50 gigs on it spare set aside. Considering that this forum, backed up is 2mb compressed... Not really an issue.

My hardware failure was just one of those things unfortunately. Thankfully I at least had a spare backup. Pity it wasnt a newer date, especially with your group buy going on!

If you want to learn how to do backups let me know :).

Cheers,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby skip_rat » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:03 am

I'll happily do a backup, everything I posted and even my user had been lost :(

I hope the person who contacted me (the previous owner of my mk2) gets back in touch, they sent me a PM but i never got to read it :cry:
skip_rat

Postby Rich » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:04 pm

Likewise, I'd be happy to do a back up.

Rich
;)
Rich

Return to General Chat