Here's something I didn't know...

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Here's something I didn't know...

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:05 pm

i've been given some old magazines with Midas articles in them, and in CCC of November 1980 Russell Bulgin, who seemed to be a big Midas fan, said that to get any air through the vents, you had to have at least one of the rear windows open, which was rather noisy. I've never seen these, or ever heard that they existed. Was this ever an option, or was this car (CNC 297T) the only one to have them?
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Re: Here's something I didn't know...

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:37 pm

They were on the prototype (see the brochure of the mk1) but were dropped due to costs (Harold mentioned this sort of actions to save money in his speech at the 10 year adversary). Unfortunately he didn't make an option of it, although the sunroof is a good replacement for creating negative pressure in the cabin.
Hans Efde

Postby cubera » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:38 pm

Russell Bulgin was certainly enthusiastic about Midas. I recall visiting the Corby works when the Motor magazine car arrived for a service - it was a sort of all-over grey colour (Dark blue in places), and Harold asked Russell when he had last washed it. "Washed it? No, you must've done it when it was last in, a year ago. Anyway, what is the point of having a Tupperware car, and then having to wash it?" Harold had no polite answer for that. I think I am right in saying that Motor had the car for a 20,000 mile "long term test", but enjoyed it so much that they kept it or 40,000. That car had the "Bulge out" floor, to drop the seat position so that ridiculously tall people (i.e. R. B) could fit in.
So far as the opening back windows are concerned, there are some minute vents at the rear on the Mk3, the purpose of which is to assist the free flow of air through the cabin. Not very well. I'm with Hans, and all my Midases have had sunroofs, which also make the car much lighter inside as well.
cubera

Postby Stuart » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:24 pm

cubera wrote:I recall visiting the Corby works when the Motor magazine car arrived for a service - it was a sort of all-over grey colour (Dark blue in places), and Harold asked Russell when he had last washed it. "Washed it? No, you must've done it when it was last in, a year ago.

It's great to read snippets like that. I've read some of the Bulgin articles many times, I still revisit them now. Rhapsody in blue, clearly not much blue on show when you saw it.
Stuart

Postby Geoff Butcher » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:15 pm

As an aside, those old Triple Cs seem to have about ten times the reading matter compared with any current magazines
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby mikeeskriett » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:55 pm

Russell Bulgin's car built for Motor was PNV 716Y which was originally navy blue but had been painted a gun metal silver colour at one point. AC Dodd owned it for quite a while and it wound up in Scotland minus it's engine.

Adrian used to wash it less frequently than Russell clearly.
Attachments
08 March 2005 (4)s.jpg
08 March 2005 (4)s.jpg (229.65 KiB) Viewed 4819 times
08 March 2005s.jpg
08 March 2005s.jpg (572.53 KiB) Viewed 4819 times
mikeeskriett

Return to General Chat