Radiators

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Radiators

Postby Alan D. » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:39 pm

Hello all,
Desmond contacted me and he explained that he was having difficulty in obtaining a new radiator. I am refreshing a Mk1 at the moment and am trying to produce a quiet and comfortable car in order to visit shows far away in places like France. But that's another story which I will tell another day.
The radiator in this Mk1 is probable 40 or 50 years old and seems fine at the moment, but if I'm in deepest darkest France and the radiator goes, I don't think there is much chance of finding an Allegro radiator in France!!!
So I've found a man who will make us some radiator's in aluminium, to the exact spec which we specify, so we can alter the size in order to get a better fit and choose where we would like the outlets and inlets in order to minimise pipe runs. I'm sure we can design a one radiator to fit the Mk1, 2 and 3. He was selling a polo radiator for about £130 to give you an indication of cost, but I would hope to get a slightly better price with a quantity order.
Try searching the internet for an Austin Metro or an Allegro radiator, I could not find any and Desmond had the same trouble. He has been quoted exorbitant prices for a one off.
So if you are interested let me know and when I get an idea of numbers I will go and batter.
Here we go again!!!
Alan
Alan D.

Re: Radiators

Postby max midas » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks Alan,
though I don't need a radiator at the moment (mine is a sprightly 10 years old), I would like to future proof my Midas, so will be placing an order with you once you have the details sorted.
cheers.
max midas

Postby Alan D. » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:39 pm

max midas wrote:Thanks Alan,
though I don't need a radiator at the moment (mine is a sprightly 10 years old), I would like to future proof my Midas, so will be placing an order with you once you have the details sorted.
cheers.

Thanks ,
That's two of us, it's a start.
Alan
Alan D.

Postby Dessie 300 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:12 am

Hi All,
Les at Herts rads (01992 558589),built me a new rad in brass and copper in 2 days,for £150 +vat,and used the old sandblasted and powder coated frame and brackets,so it fits straight in as per the original-no new holes required!
He also sandblasted and repainted the old brackets and supplied new stainless Allen bolts,so the won't corrode again.
I have a Revotec 10 inch fan,which fits nicely on the back,so it's sorted out all the old stuff.
Give Les a ring and tell him Midas Des recommends him !

Dessie 300
Dessie 300

Postby Dessie 300 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:05 pm

Hi,pic of my old rad and fan,and the new ones,to go in,new water pump,silicone hoses,and thermostat to (to form part of the top hose).Fan override switch also to be added.

Des.
Attachments
image.jpg
Old Rad and fan,new Rad and Revotec fan for mk2,old stuff out, and new stuff to go in
image.jpg (797.47 KiB) Viewed 5911 times
Dessie 300

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:51 pm

Last year I bought a brand new full brass radiator for my MK3. Found it on German Ebay, it looks like they are coming from Poland (I guess based on name of seller and stickering on radiator). Advantage of brass is that they are much thinner than the alu ones. Are you guys looking for a Metro rad or something else?

Just checked, still available: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Wasserkuhler-fur-Austin-Metro-Schragheck-1-0-1-3-/111838273830?fits=Make%3AAustin%7CModel%3AMetro&hash=item1a0a14a126:g:cBIAAOSwWxNYxHC5
Hans Efde

Postby Alan D. » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:21 pm

That looks good Hans,
I'm just trying to get a replacement radiator and as Maxmidas said futureproof the car. All of the radiators which I have are probably 30 to 40 years old. my idea was to design a new radiator which would fit better than the make do and mend, Allegro or Metro radiator. so open to any suggestions. Its only at the ideas stage at the moment, so thank you for you suggestion, I'll check the Polish people out.
Alan
Alan D.

Return to General Chat