It wasn't my fault officer, really it wasn't

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

It wasn't my fault officer, really it wasn't

Postby fozzza » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:25 pm

I must confess that on the journey back from the Mini Cooper Register Rally at Beuleau I did have my photo took by a static speed camera but at the time because visibility is a bit compromised out the rear screen I was unsure whether it flashed, well I can confirm it did, as the postman pushed an unwanted letter through the door yesterday :x.
It did state that I was doing 36 in a 30 but must admit that I thought I was going a bit quicker than that, so I mustn't argue that one and being my first offence in 32years of driving I will accept the driver awareness course being offered so I can spare the 3 points on my license and it is also £15 cheaper than the standard fine of £100 anyway.
The annoying part of it is, that there were extenuating circumstances that led to this situation, and it has happened a few times, because I am driving an unusual car, I seem to attract the idiot fraternity that would tailgate so close it is ridiculous. :evil:
The last instance was particularly bad and did go on for a fair few miles, I didn't particularly want to stop as I didn't no what type of people were in the car behind, you do hear of all sorts of stories, and the wife was also getting a bit concerned so I did my best to keep a bit of distance from the pair of us, which led to misjudging the speed camera and so smile your on candid camera. Finally I came to a fuel station and pulled in and luckily the idiot drove past. The wife said I should appeal but I know it wont wash. I broke the law and must accept this but I will mention this at the awareness course to hear what there professional advice would be.
Even though I'm not too happy about the experience it wont stop me enjoying future motoring in my Midas. :)
Roy
fozzza

Re: It wasn't my fault officer, really it wasn't

Postby moss » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:13 pm

yes it nearly go me saw the camera looked down 30? nothing in the post!!!!!!
tony
moss

Postby Jin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:33 am

i share your concerns
i too get this sort of behaviour, and it’s very often with this being my daily driver
i remember the last factory open day i was being tailgated by a BMW (who would have thought?) down the lanes leading to Enstone, i kept piling on the speed till i ran out of nerve
in the end i got away turning into the industrial estate and floored it just to be sure,
almost every day I’ll get people right up my rear end (if you’ll excuse the phrase)
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Postby benofbrum » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:40 pm

I have thought for a while that it would be useful in these circumstances to have an oil or diesel injector in the exhaust system.
benofbrum

Postby Jin » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:44 pm

I like your plan
Jin

Postby DavidL » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:46 pm

I'm tempted to investigate a caltrop dispensing system, like James Bond's BMW 750 (actually only a 740 ;) )
DavidL

Postby fozzza » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:35 am

Just to let you know I attended the naughty boy course.
The night before the wife and I did have a little ride out to find exactly where the course was being held, which was in a rough part of the town (it used to be the red light area many years ago), upon finding the location I did make the comment to the wife "don't be surprised if I'm walking home tomorrow after my car has been stolen" (is this another tactic to stop you speeding being minus a car :lol: ).
I arrived at the course the following day which was attended by another 19 naughty drivers (20 x £85, 10 courses a week, 1 classroom, a nice money earner) and was surprised that 3/4 of the class were mature to elderly drivers :o. I did take the advice of a fellow Midas owner, to attend with a positive attitude to get the most out of it while there and he was right, even though the course could have been condensed from 4 hours to 2 (I think the time issue is the punishment :x ), there were parts that were very informative and I did learn a few things. ie the new smart signals on some of the motorways that monitor the traffic congestion, speed and flow, which alter the signage and open the hard shoulder automatically without the aid of the control centre :oops: , and even going 1mph over the speed limit is now classed as excessive speed and the authorities have been instructed to come down hard on drivers.
Obviously advising everyone to keep to the strict speed limit, the subject of tailgating did crop up (I wonder which pupil mentioned that ;)) but the instructors didn't really suggest the perfect solution, only to slow down a little more to allow the car to overtake but I had already tried that one and it didn't work.(there was no mention of attaching James bond gizmos to the back of the car).
So the course is done and on the whole not too bad, and there I thought they were going to teach us where all the speed cameras are ;), I have now got to be a good boy for a further 3years before I can go on another one but lets say Ill hopefully be hanging my car keys up before I do.
Roy
fozzza

Postby Jin » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:21 pm

Thanks for the infomative post
Jin

Return to General Chat