Motorbikes anyone??

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Motorbikes anyone??

Postby gooseman » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:00 pm

I have been fascinated with motorbikes all my life & bought my first one back in the 60s, a Raleigh moped i spotted at an auto parts store & paid $45 for it. It was truly unusual and i had lots of fun with it, you could cruise along & smoke a cigarette at the same time :lol: maybe 30 mph. Sadly i no longer have it but have gone on to bigger & better bikes up to 1000cc, i still have two machines i bought new in 1972. One of them is a DKW 125CC enduro bike, i rode in a number of enduros & managed to win a trophy in 1973, woods riding was all the rage back then in my area. The other is a Laverda 750sf that i got at a bargain price, very few people at the time could grasp the "cafe racer" configuration so the dealer was anxious to get rid of it.
I also have a "Mongrel" bike which i built from components of 5 different machines over a period of 7-8 years, will try to post pics of it later.
Surely there are others on this board who are bike enthusiasts........jim
gooseman

Re: Motorbikes anyone??

Postby Stuart » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:53 pm

Here's mine

Stuart

Postby gooseman » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:45 pm

LARGE MEN ON TINY BIKES :P :P I LOVE IT!!
gooseman

Postby Colin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:06 am

Large man on a large bike!

This is mine a Honda Valkyrie all 1520cc, 6 cylinders and 310kg.
Valkyrie.jpg
Valkyrie.jpg (92.96 KiB) Viewed 4610 times

I bought it in September in the UK for the 'right' price and have had it shipped to Spain. I bought it knowing that it had been let go and needed a lot of re-chroming but the more I strip it the more that I am finding needs doing. Still what else do I have to do with my time in retirement. If only it was easier to register a kit car here I might even be tempted with another Midas. ;) If you want to watch the progress of the rebuild I have a blog with some photos here.
--
Colin
(Founder of the MOC but not making a big deal about it ;))
Colin

Postby gooseman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:31 pm

You are right Colin, that is one big mother, i couldnt get your link to work for some reason...we have a kit car that is somewhat prevalent called the Tri-Magnum that uses the Goldwing engine/frame minus front fork & has 2 wheels in front. There was one on ebay not long ago but it was a bit of a mess & had no title, in my state a 3 wheeler is considered & registered as a bike so lack of the title would be a hassle. Its great to be retired & be able to do your own thing...isnt it Colin?
gooseman

Postby Colin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:22 pm

Retirement is great I don't know how I used to find time to go to work. I'm not sure if there was a problem with the link but this is it in full http://rebuild.turnspain.com/. I'll have to see if I can find a photo of one of those Tri-Magnums to have a look at, sounds interesting BUT I am more than happy on two wheels at the moment. :D

--
Edit

Just had a look on Google images that Tri-Magnum is one ugly 3 wheeled kit car, why would anyone buy one of those when they could have a Midas? :lol: :lol:
--
Colin
(Founder of the MOC but not making a big deal about it ;))
Colin

Postby gooseman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:00 pm

I have had that same feeling "how did i ever have time for work?" many times....and yes the TRI-MAGNUM is quite bizarre and likely difficult to get in & out of as you r right on the ground. I understand the hassles in chemical shipments, i bought some WURTH chain lube from an ebayer in UK & when i didnt recv it after a month, he sent 2 more cans, the first pair arrived 2 months later & second pair 2 months after that, neither of us realized they were on BOAT MAIL!
Colin, please be wary of that massive motorcycle when its up on the lift, it might be tipsy & go go awry, jim
gooseman

Postby Jon » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:52 pm

I have a slight interest in bikes. Here are some of my current collection.

I have been tempted to learn to ride, but doubt if I ever will. This lot are far cheaper, less trouble and less hazardous than the real thing, being only one sixth scale.
I have enough trouble with full size cars.
Jon

Postby gooseman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:27 pm

Nice bikes Jon...i wasnt aware that Harleys were popular in the UK...I see u are a KAW man also, that appears to be an early model 900/1000, it looks great & likely someone has paid attention to it. I also have a KAW kz1000j model 1982, its a green :mrgreen: cafe style with lots of mods...think i need to pull the head for a rebuild :x . Hondas too...Jon, you r certainly a MOTORSICKLE MAN!! Jim
gooseman

Postby gooseman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:38 pm

If that is small scale, someone put a lot of work into it......
gooseman

Next

Return to General Chat