Heated screen fitted!

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Heated screen fitted!

Postby Rich » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:35 pm

Finally it's happened! A colleague was going to fit the screen for me (ex-fitter) so I've hung about for ages waiting for him to get sorted. Sadly he never managed to, so I took it into Exeter for the screen fitting professionally.

Despite their best efforts they couldn't managed to get a trim rubber to fit so it's a straight glue finish, but at least it's flush with the screen surround now. They were really unhappy with the cosmetic effect of the silver heating contact strips top and bottom of the screen so have painted a mask onto the outside of the glass to hide them. It looks ok, but it isn't really what I'd hoped for and I don't hold out much hope for it being a long term solution.

It's a bit odd getting used to a screen with elements in it again (I used to have a Ford with a heated screen) and I'll hopefully get it hooked up to the power over the next few days.

The good news is that the car feels a good bit tighter, which probably goes to show how badly fitted the old screen was.

Rich
;)
Rich

Re: Heated screen fitted!

Postby manifold » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:41 pm

Beat me to it. ;)

I had wondered how that heated contact strips would look. Having said that its similar in an enfield 8000 (EV) as they have no hot air blowing on the screen so heated screen element is the only way to demist.

Talking about bonded screen and stiffening up chassis etc. Do you know how thick your outer sill is on your midas?

I didnt notice until Tuesday that its over an inch thick on mine. I always knew the inner sill was sandwiched, but not the outer sill too. Maybe thats why mine is stiffer?

The outer T section that is used on the Midas convertible screen is a cut down ford transit rubber.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:55 pm

The convertible screen was never intended to be fitted with a rubber. If you look in the manual you'll see that it goes straight on the GRP with the vinyl in between. A small T-seal is pressed in the sealant to fill the small gap between the body and the glass. Alternatively the gap could be filled with sealant, but it will not stand against the UV light.
Hans Efde

Postby Rich » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:10 pm

I managed to do the wiring for the screen today in between downpours and hail stones. I've wired it direct into the switched power for the heated rear screen which is redundant on the convertible.

Having had a Ford in the past the first impressions were that the screen didn't work! A little patience revealed that it does work, it just is nowhere near as quick as a Ford screen at demisting, one of the elements on the passenger side is u/s already :roll: But once the screen is cleared there is a world of difference over the continual mopping and towelling I've been having to do just to see where I'm going, the car has been dangerous to drive after dark up until now.

All in all, very happy!
Rich

Postby manifold » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:41 pm

Hi Rich,

Congrats on being the first (published) heated screen install! Im also intending to install off the heated rear screen switch.

Can you give me more info on the screen not working. Was it a temporary problem os is it permanently broken?

TIA

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Rich » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:19 pm

manifold wrote:Hi Rich,

Congrats on being the first (published) heated screen install! Im also intending to install off the heated rear screen switch.

Can you give me more info on the screen not working. Was it a temporary problem os is it permanently broken?

TIA

David

Hi David,
It's just one of the (many) elements in the glass, you notice it when you have a thin strip of fog running up the window. Before too long the surrounding elements heat the glass sufficiently and you have a completely clear screen. I'm guessing this is a permanent problem.

Rich
Rich

Return to General Chat