snow

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

snow

Postby manifold » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:25 am

Snowing great this morning.

Whats the snow like in Buxton Stuart? I bet its deep over there.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Re: snow

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:01 am

ijlstsnow01.jpg
ijlstsnow01.jpg (79.61 KiB) Viewed 4854 times

ijlstsnow02.jpg
ijlstsnow02.jpg (48.73 KiB) Viewed 4854 times

It's a mess here in Holland. Last week Thursday we got between 30 and 50cm of snow, see pics. This weekend again lots of snow. It's difficult and slow to drive (although my RAV4 is now quit handy), busses and trains don't drive and flights are canceled or delayed. Life TV shows just have a handful of spectators, football matches are canceled etc. The kids like it though.
Hans Efde

Postby Stuart » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:31 am

We had quite a bit of snow yesterday David, my house is around 810ft ASL, it is always a bit worse in Buxton, my house there was at around 1100ft ASL.

Just a note to say I have to come out of the Christmas theme to get the full width of the photos.
Stuart

Postby manifold » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:52 pm

Hans/Stuart,

Great pics!

I thought it was just us Brits that couldn't manage if the snow hit the road. ;)

Glad to know its not only us, although we do tend to whine when it makes more than 25mm!
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Stuart » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:05 pm

Had a short drive in my Micra today and was a bit shocked by how poor it was in the snow, I guess 185 section tyres on a lightish car don't bode well for good traction.

My mk2 on Michelin M+S tyres was fantastic in comparison, if I had to drive every day I'd be investing in some decent snow tyres for the Micra, however I'll just stay in in future instead.
Stuart

Postby Geoff Butcher » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:13 pm

I wish I'd got my heated front screen in!
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Rich » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:09 pm

I'm rather glad mines fitted!

Not so much snowy down here as icy, the road is like a skating rink in the morning.

Rich
Rich

Postby Stuart » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:44 pm

We had around 8" of snow this morning

Stuart

Postby johnnyfixit » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:38 am

Even the back ground on here has whited out since my last visit think I'm snowed off :D :D
johnnyfixit

Postby Jon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:19 pm

My Mk2 has been giving stirling service getting me about over Christmas and to work this week. Fortunately we haven't had enough snow in Beds/Herts to make the low ground clearance a problem.
The first time it snowed after I built my first Gold in '89 I walked five miles to work because I didn't want to risk anyone bashing in to it. Now my '85 Bronze is my most practical car and gets used everyday regardless. I used my Spitfire once in the snow just before Christmas because the Midas was sounding sick and I didn't have time to check it out. (Just a loose exhaust manifold nut, easily fixed). I hadn't used the Triumph in snow for at least twenty years, definitely more of a challenge - the Midas leaves it for dead in those conditions. Also, the Midas should be a lot lighter to drag out of the ditch, if the worst happens. Some years ago I pulled over to let my postman past in his van down the lane and dropped my left front wheel into a hidden dip so that the car ended up grounded on the sump and floorpan. The two of us managed to manhandle it back on to the road without too much effort. These plastic rollerskates have many advantages.
Jon

Next

Return to General Chat