Pierce Manifold 7 port head

Here you can natter about anything and everything!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Pierce Manifold 7 port head

Postby manifold » Mon May 03, 2010 10:09 am

Someone was asking me where I got the head from. I bought the 7 port head from Pierce Manifolds. They are based in California.

Here is their website. http://www.piercemanifolds.com.

They started producing this head a couple of months ago. If you go to MED http://www.med-engineering.co.uk/product_details.php?p_id=551&vlang_id=594 they want between £1700 and £1950 for exactly the same head, with a few mods they do. I went to Pierce direct and bought a bare head and paid £730 including shipping. On top you have a few quid VAT and import taxes when it comes into the UK.

The bare head cost which includes valve seats, bronze guides fitted, spring seats, spark plugs, weber gasket (I junked this though and bought misabs instead) and studs came to £730. You will then need a set of valves and springs/collets/valve seats. I chose to use existing seat sizes for some rimflo valves I had. Valve seat sizes are 29mm exhaust and 33mm inlet. Obviously you can go for bigger valves, but you would need to have new seats installed too. On top you can use your existing exhaust manifold and rocker assembly/pushrods thermostat housing, heater take off etc. You will need your valve seats cutting to match your valves though and spring heights checked/adjusted with shims as necessary. Exhaust gasket is the standard 5 port and you get a couple of stud spacers too for filling the manifold gap where the SU used to go.

Cost of fuel was £40 for a 300 mile round trip to Stoneleigh from Lancaster....so I averaged between 40-45mpg. Not bad, running on a 1310cc with twin 40 webers on the alloy 7 port. Certainly 10 mpg better than I had anticipated.

Why do the head change?

Because:

A. you can get up between 120-130 bhp on a standard head.....and 140-150 with ported head, and
B. Its very very easy to convert the engine to fuel injection, as the head is a crossflow and is well suited to fitting GSXR 600,750 or 1000 (K1-K3) throttle bodies (about £60 on Ebay with injectors, fuel rail and throttle position sensor) or straight bolt on job Jenvey throttle bodies and megasquirt fuel injection http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html.

I bought my megasquirt from a great US company called DIY Autotune http://www.diyautotune.com/

You can buy them prebuilt or if your good with a soldering iron, about 8 hours work. I have built 2. One for each car.

I use a Megasquirt v3, with the upgrade chip (MS2) with the relay board. Its currently running the sparks until I transition over to injection at some point.

Cheers,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Re: Pierce Manifold 7 port head

Postby johnnyfixit » Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 pm

yes it attracted a lot of interest as well ,did it win a prize? :D
johnnyfixit

Postby manifold » Mon May 03, 2010 8:39 pm

;) Yes.... got a couple of prizes this year. Really pleased to get some recognition. ;). The girls at home were happy for daddy to get them too.

Wait till I get the KAD engine in. Thats really is shoe horned in! It 'just' fits.

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby manifold » Wed May 05, 2010 4:28 pm

Now available in the UK from webcon for those who cant be arsed to import it: £995 plus VAT.

http://www.webcon.co.uk/Downloads/Webco ... 20Head.pdf

Cheers,

David

manifold

Postby manifold » Sat May 08, 2010 9:29 pm

For anyone curious if the castings are similar on Minisport and Pierce Manifolds 7 ports.......heres a comparison from top down. Notice the casting....and notice the weber spacing. Definately narrower on the Pierce.....meaning more of a straighter run in the port. Big potential to run with throttle bodies under a standard bonnet too ;).

Minisport (iron):

Pierce Manifolds (ally):

manifold

Return to General Chat