Where did Harold Dermott go?

May contain mild smut, nonsense and innuendo

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Where did Harold Dermott go?

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:03 pm

I found this blog by Nick Mason:
http://www.classicandperformancecar.com ... _2011.html

According this story Harold Dermott left the McLaren factory for another job early 2011. Does anyone have an idea where he went?
Hans Efde

Re: Where did Harold Dermott go?

Postby Stuart » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:18 pm

I was particularly sorry to see that Harold Dermott is to leave McLaren after caring for customers almost since the inception of the McLaren F1. My experience is that most customer service personnel, be it in furniture, electrical appliances, computers or cars, are recruited from the guard house at Guantanamo Bay. Harold, on the other hand, has a glittering career ahead of him in the diplomatic service, should he choose to take it up. He has spent a great deal of time delivering bad news (ie, the estimate for the work) to McLaren F1 owners.

You might think that, if you buy what was the world’s most expensive car, you shouldn’t have to worry about servicing costs. You’d be wrong. I’ve seen strong men lying on the floor beating their fists and weeping as Harold gently administers the news that emptying the ashtray will require the services of Brinks-Mat.

Even better, though, has been his ability to explain clearly and calmly why these costs are so astronomical. I recently revisited a fax from Harold in which he’d responded to a complaint from me regarding a quote for fitting a new numberplate.

‘Your insight into the manufacturing techniques for the numberplate is uncanny. There is no way you could know that 
this is preceded by the mining of the precious reflective plastic ore in the foothills of the Himalayas. This is then shipped by llama across the Gobi desert to the boat in Shanghai, a process complicated by the need to keep it refrigerated to exactly 4.2 degrees at all times.’

I just hope that his successor, Marcus, is as familiar with the parts manufacturing details.

NICK MASON

Perhaps he's retired
Stuart

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:23 pm

That makes sense, but I don't imagine Harold as someone with a straw hat watering the lawn and clipping the roses. I then hope he is writing book about Midas and Maclaren. He still has a photo book I am chasing (the only thing he rescued out of the Corby factory fire). He promised me to scan the pics, so maybe it's time to remember him about it. If I can find him that is.
Hans Efde

Postby DavidL » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:58 pm

Well, I can't find any Harold Dermotts on Facebook... :D
DavidL

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:47 pm

faceofdoh wrote:Well, I can't find any Harold Dermotts on Facebook... :D

I checked all social media, Linkedin neither. Google came up empty as well. Sometimes names pop up on the website of f.e. a golf, tennis or bridge club. I wonder where the Midas club is sending Harold's copy of the club magazine to.
Hans Efde

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:05 am

Okay I had a quick google this morning and think I have a link. I found his birthday which is in June 1947 and indeed that makes him 65 this year, so obviously he retired. I also found out he does secretary work for his son's business, so via this company I have sent him an email. Let's see if he gets back to me.
Hans Efde

Postby Stuart » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:09 am

Nice work Hans, it will be nice if he gets in touch and you can gleen some useful photos etc, fingers crossed.
Stuart

Postby Geoff Butcher » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:30 pm

According to this Harold has indeed retired
http://www.howtospendit.com/#!/articles ... mclaren-f1
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Stuart » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:50 pm

I also found out he does secretary work for his son's business, so via this company I have sent him an email. Let's see if he

Hans did you receive a reply I wonder?
Stuart

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:34 pm

No not yet, I will try again. Possibly my email wasn't received by his son. I'll just give them a call to find out.
Hans Efde

Next

Return to General Silly Chat