RIP Metro

May contain mild smut, nonsense and innuendo

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

RIP Metro

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:00 pm

There was a very nice Metro driving around in my town, one owner, an old lady, low milage. There was not a spec of rust on it and it pottered quite happily around. I had set my eyes on it as a future donor car. Last summer I had a chat with the old lady about it.
This morning I met her in her Metro again at the supermarket. Still going strong I see I said. Well yes she said, but since it's now 20 years old I've traded it in against a Peugeot 107. With the cash for a wreck system it was a good deal. Now I am waiting for my new car to arrive.
I shed a few tears. Somehow I felt connected to this little ugly car. Its splendid engine will now be destroyed instead of being used by me or going into a Mini. I'll contact the garage to see if it can be saved. But usually these cars are destroyed else the garage doesn't get its fee from the government. RIP little Metro. Another victim of our fast consumer economy where cars loaded with character are traded with dead soulless pieces of metal and plastic. :(
Hans Efde

Re: RIP Metro

Postby Rich » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:28 pm

Plenty of it happening over here too.

I can't see the logic in reducing the amount of affordable transport in times of recession to support car makers from abroad.....
Rich

Re: RIP Metro

Postby manifold » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:39 am

Thats what you get when you have a couple of leaders and chancellors of a country who dont know jack sh*t about running a business and haven't got a single accounting qualification to rub together and are making these kind of decisions.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Return to General Silly Chat