Mk3 Coupe moulds stored at Clanfield

Please post general information for the interests of Midas Owners Club members here.

Re: Moulds stored at Clanfield

Postby Stuart » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:56 pm

Sticking them on ebay would have at least given anyone else interested in buying them an equal chance to buy them if they so desired.
Stuart

Postby Jon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:42 pm

If the moulds had been sold on Ebay, they might have gone to a Midas enthusiast, but they could have gone anywhere. At least we know where and who they are with now.
If a potential buyer had first heard of the moulds on Ebay, the typical auction period wouldn't have allowed a proper assessment of the moulds and what could be done with them, so I doubt there would have been much interest. Midas enthusiasts knew where the moulds were and could have made an offer. It seems that none did.
Jon

Postby manifold » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:59 pm

Stuart wrote:Sticking them on ebay would have at least given anyone else interested in buying them an equal chance to buy them if they so desired.

I agree this would have been by far the most sensible option and a fair amount of transparency would have been maintained. With a decent lead time they would have brought their true 'market' value whatever that would have turned out to be on EBAY. I'm sure it would be more than £1! Even a pair of used doors recently went for far more than £1 on EBAY. Current prices of Midas Gold paper brochures also go for more than this on EBAY. I doubt the mould would have left the country.

As far as using the Midas name is concerned I do not think that having to sell the cars under another name is really an issue. Midas is just a name. Ultimately its a Richard Oakes design, just like the GTMs. As a name it has no value these days. Certainly it can be sold as a unique car that passed the ECE12 crash barrier test, which the convertible or the mk4's didn't to my knowledge. Everyone I speak to who sees my car for the first time asks if it is a Mini Marcos...not a Midas so it could even be marketed as a successor to the Mini Marcos. None of these things have happened.

When I asked about the condition of the moulds before they came back from Germany I was told they were in a serviceable condition. I was then asked if I would like to put some money in the pot for them, which I kindly did on the impression they were OK. So what has happened to the moulds since I gave this money then to make them now unserviceable? Has someone stamped all over them? On my knowledge about GRP, having worked with the stuff for over 25 years, I know it doesn't rot when under cover. Worse case scenario is that they will have a few pock marks from mould pulling that can polished and cut back on the finished article as its mirrored (i.e. raised), as long as the moulds are coated with PVA release first before layup.

And with all due respect (not wishing to knock Alistair) how many cars have actually been made in the last 3 or 4 years in the hands of the current maker whose current interest is actually in marketing the Deronda (not the Midas). The fact that the moulds for the windscreen on the Mk4 have gone tells a tale in itself. The Midas has not sold well because they have not been developed. This has been mentioned time and time again. The Midas are running on old technology, unlike the Deronda. In fact it would be nice if we had recent manufacturing figures. It would make interesting reading.

Living in the real world I realise Midas Cars are not exciting or racy enough in their current format for people to want to buy them as they are. They would make a nice point to point weekend vehicle though. The idea that most people want to ride around day to day in a GT the size of a Midas is frankly very silly in this day and age. They were running on old technology in the 1980's as was pointed out in the great car reviews of that time, never mind 30 years on. The tech needs to move on.

On a positive note since this forum was created you should be pleased to note that the market value of your cars has actually increased. I am well aware of this as I have been watching the market closely.

Too many committee meetings and not a lot of action.

Anyway I have said my piece. Just very disappointed.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:34 pm

I have had enquiries from people who were interested in an electric powered Midas avoiding congestion charges. I even was contacted by a Dutch company busy with electric vehicles. I am sure there is a future for the Gold moulds, so I don't understand why these are not advertised in Complete Kit Car for example fetching real money and increasing the possibility to see them reappear again.
Hans Efde

Postby grahamc » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:59 pm

Why are people so quick to critisize after the event? Personally I think enough notice was given of the situation and did anyone who had all of these great ideas that have now been expressed take any action or attempt to give any help?
At least the moulds havent been destroyed as the so easily could have been, remember the commitee members can only respond to your wishes if you voice them
At least the moulds are available Alistair shows a keen interest in our cars unlike so many owners who seem to want to devalue them by saying some projects are worthless
remember if you devalue one car in the long term you are devaluing your own
Personallly I think its the DVLAs stupid rules on SVA and the like that has killed future sales of our cars not lack of developement
Lets face it the future for our cars is in keeping them and enjoying them,the kit car business is not healthy so anyone who is trying should be applauded not criticised for running a business

Rant over

Graham
grahamc

Re: Mk3 Coupe moulds stored at Clanfield

Postby manifold » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:20 pm

Graham, without starting a flame I appreciate your comments but as someone arguably who has probably developed the Mk3 more than anyone within the A series frame I have no intention of devaluing the cars. Please feel free to look at all my posts on this forum to clarify this. In fact this forum which you are using was set up by me to actually increase the value of all the cars (which it has when you compare how much you could buy a car for 2 years ago) and I personally don't ever recall knocking anyones car.

There is some history to this before your time as some of the other commenters have already suggested so its not quite a quick criticism.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Previous

Return to Information for the interest of Midas Owners Club members