Mk3 Coupe moulds stored at Clanfield

Please post general information for the interests of Midas Owners Club members here.

Re: Moulds stored at Clanfield

Postby DavidL » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:56 pm

I'm looking for a "popcorn" emoticon.

Apart from losing some of the vast amount of space behind the seats, I like this idea. The nagging thought at the back of my head is reminding me that Gordon Murray took ten years to build his, though.
DavidL

Postby Rich » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:08 pm

manifold wrote:Yes, I for one, back at the time offered to put money in to buy them. I was even prepared to buy them outright but for some reason that option wasn't even considered, which is a shame.

My plan would have been to develop the Coupe Mk3 into a mid engined car. A rear bulkhead with a low fitting engine behind seats. Air intakes from the rear quarter panels. Visible engine access from rear hatch (like Audi R8). Luggage space in the bonnet. Really easy to do. A no brainer. It would have transformed the Midas Mk3 Coupe.

It is what it is. Come to your own conclusions.

That sounds like a cracking idea.
Rich

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:36 am

faceofdoh wrote:Apart from losing some of the vast amount of space behind the seats, I like this idea. The nagging thought at the back of my head is reminding me that Gordon Murray took ten years to build his, though.

Yeeh, but he did it at the same time he led a design team building the greatest supercar ever. The funny result of this is that occasionally during meetings about the F1 he was making todo lists and something about the Midas popped up. Such meeting notes were published in the book "driving ambition" about the F1. So in this book you see a list of things todo on the F1 (all super stuff) and suddenly a remark "Midas front suspension" or so. :lol:
Hans Efde

Postby DavidL » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:07 am

Hans Efde wrote:
faceofdoh wrote:Apart from losing some of the vast amount of space behind the seats, I like this idea. The nagging thought at the back of my head is reminding me that Gordon Murray took ten years to build his, though.

Yeeh, but he did it at the same time he led a design team building the greatest supercar ever. The funny result of this is that occasionally during meetings about the F1 he was making todo lists and something about the Midas popped up. Such meeting notes were published in the book "driving ambition" about the F1. So in this book you see a list of things todo on the F1 (all super stuff) and suddenly a remark "Midas front suspension" or so. :lol:

Good point; I suppose he would have been spending a larger part of his time during those ten years on the F1, rather than the Midas! That's a book I'd never thought of reading before. I must try and find a copy.
DavidL

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:59 am

faceofdoh wrote:
Hans Efde wrote:
faceofdoh wrote:
Good point; I suppose he would have been spending a larger part of his time during those ten years on the F1, rather than the Midas! That's a book I'd never thought of reading before. I must try and find a copy.

Without exaggeration, it is the best carbook on my shelf. Absolutely fascinating. Expensive though, I got mine for around 50 pounds on Ebay and that was a bargain! Once I tried to buy another copy (with the poster) and it went over 100 pounds.
Hans Efde

Postby DavidL » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:32 pm

Hans Efde wrote:Without exaggeration, it is the best carbook on my shelf. Absolutely fascinating. Expensive though, I got mine for around 50 pounds on Ebay and that was a bargain! Once I tried to buy another copy (with the poster) and it went over 100 pounds.

I've just looked on Amazon, and they have several used copies available, from £125. Or a "collectible" edition for £199.

That's money that will have to go towards my new exhaust, unfortunately. I'll just have to put it on my Christmas list...

...had a look at the "used" prices, they go up to £355!
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:36 pm

Stuart

Postby DavidL » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:49 pm

Thanks for the head up Stuart, it's now on my watch list! I expect the price will rise a bit though. :roll:
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:56 pm

Here's a nice Z-cars build, he had lots of issues with Z-cars supplied bits failing, also had an Image wheel snap nearly all the bolts holding the wheel together, cost £35,000+ to build

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/in ... pic=102232
Stuart

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:14 pm

What a story! I just whiped a lot of drool from my laptop. Yep he had his bit of bad luck with parts quality (Rich note the top of the dampers running loose, same as yours), but what do expect when you put 300bhp in a Mini? That's why I am taking it a step back with my engine. What can break breaks when you power up the engine.
Hans Efde

PreviousNext

Return to Information for the interest of Midas Owners Club members