Mk3 Coupe moulds stored at Clanfield

Please post general information for the interests of Midas Owners Club members here.

Mk3 Coupe moulds stored at Clanfield

Postby cortezkeeper » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:11 pm

Members should have received by either e-mail or surface mail something like the following. There may be an attachment opening problem for some members, hence this issue.
When the club took the decision to rescue the 'Berlin' moulds, a worthwhile demand on their use was expected. This has not proved to be the case and the storage costs can no longer be justified. Following the AGM discussion, these remedial options were offered and it is intended to take or move towards a decision at the open day on 24 July. (Note the date, 24 not 17 - this change has been notified and is here repeated)
1 Find free storage for the moulds. 2 Sell the moulds. 3 Form a consortium of specifically interested members who will finance the storage.
4 Retain only the repair panel moulds (e.g. doors, valances) which could be stored individually in different locations. 5. Scrap the moulds and sell the container.
This is a brief summary of the discussion and ideas - all other reasonable suggestions welcome but it important that the club moves forward on this issue.
Contact any cttee member to discuss further. Some proposals already received - thanks for those, most welcome.
Michael.
cortezkeeper

Re: Moulds stored at Clanfield

Postby b1zbaz » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:05 pm

i can store the moulds free of charge only problem is im in manchester but im pretty sure i can arrange something rather than destroy them
b1zbaz

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:48 am

The weird thing is that 2 people had offered to buy the moulds from the club, but they were declined or even did not get an answer. I don't know what the club is doing, but they are acting erratic.
Hans Efde

Postby manifold » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:33 am

Yes, I for one, back at the time offered to put money in to buy them. I was even prepared to buy them outright but for some reason that option wasn't even considered, which is a shame.

My plan would have been to develop the Coupe Mk3 into a mid engined car. A rear bulkhead with a low fitting engine behind seats. Air intakes from the rear quarter panels. Visible engine access from rear hatch (like Audi R8). Luggage space in the bonnet. Really easy to do. A no brainer. It would have transformed the Midas Mk3 Coupe.

It is what it is. Come to your own conclusions.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:51 pm

That was exactly my thought David. And with Z-cars now delivering a bolt in frame with rear suspension and all, it would not even that hard to get it done. It would be a real mini Ferrari without competitors now Westfield has killed the GTM models.
Hans Efde

Postby manifold » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Yes you have nailed it Hans.

It is even more relevant today than it was a couple of years ago. Really easy to do as well. In fact it could be retrofitted to an existing Coupe very easily. It wouldn't work for the Convertible, but it would lend itself to the Coupe's, in particular the Mk3's with increased track width.

.....Non of this 'will the engine fit behind the headlamp' stuff. A wide range of engines could be fitted too. Front bonnet space could be decked out with the fuel tank inside the subframe (for crash protection) and a small boot space cladded out in Ally/Ply on top.

David

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:38 pm

I get al mooshy about this. I had been thinking of stripping a MR2 for such a project (latest generation, about 2K or even cheaper for one with damage). The nice thing of that car is that they rotated the head so the exhaust is at the back, not wedged between the bulkhead and the engine. I had the idea to make air intakes in the rear wheel fenders as the Porsche 911 turbo and chicken wire between the tail lights for air extraction. But getting serious means spending serious money and in the end I don't have it and what I have I need for the Convertible. It's still on my mind though. Who knows who the next winner of the Euro millions will be.
Hans Efde

Postby Stuart » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:20 pm

GRP bodied cars made in Blackpool again David :)
Stuart

Postby manifold » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:54 pm

Not any time soon Stuart :). I have the space for them but my enthusiasm for it has all burnt out for now since I put the offer forward back then and it didnt get anywhere. Still love my cars mind!

Its one of those things isnt it. If the cars had some radically up to date sporty technology and at the right price point they would be selling like hot cakes. We keep banging on about it but it doesnt happen.

Maybe in a while I might come back to it and if the moulds are scrapped I can always make some skinnies off my Coupe. It's pretty easy to do with PVA, once the car is buffed up.

The will be a market for small cars in the future. I think it is the way of things to come.

manifold

Postby manifold » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:56 pm

Good choice. That MR2 Engine was a great engine. Based off a BDA.....just like the KAD head basically is in a way.

Hans Efde wrote:I get al mooshy about this. I had been thinking of stripping a MR2 for such a project (latest generation, about 2K or even cheaper for one with damage). The nice thing of that car is that they rotated the head so the exhaust is at the back, not wedged between the bulkhead and the engine. I had the idea to make air intakes in the rear wheel fenders as the Porsche 911 turbo and chicken wire between the tail lights for air extraction. But getting serious means spending serious money and in the end I don't have it and what I have I need for the Convertible. It's still on my mind though. Who knows who the next winner of the Euro millions will be.

manifold

Next

Return to Information for the interest of Midas Owners Club members