wiring a mess, need help

Please post general information for the interests of Midas Owners Club members here.

wiring a mess, need help

Postby 1971saab » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:34 am

I live in USA and bought a mk1 midas on e bay. well when I got the car, I saw that a p.o. added a gm type fuse box under the dash just in front of the shifter , well what a mess. No dash gauges work and only some lights. I can only go by what I see in pics. that it should have a 4 fuse type box in the engine bay just to the right of the battery. he probley pulled the wires through the fire wall and wired them into the gm box. Well, I will like to put it back to original. Do I need a 4 fuse type box from a mini? also what colors are positive, key off , key on ? please any pics. color codes or diagrams will help so much . I'm a new member on the other side of the pond. Thanks Bob P.S. vin# D020159
1971saab

Re: wiring a mess, need help

Postby manifold » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:40 am

Welcome to the forum bob. I hope someone can pick this one up and answer it for you.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Re: wiring a mess, need help

Postby mikeeskriett » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:04 am

Hi Bob,

The standard Mini fusebox is correct for a mk1/2 Midas. The colour coding is usually as per a Mini so a Haynes (book of lies) manual should give you the information you need.

From Memory...

White/Red - Starter Solenoid feed
White - Ignition
Purple - Permanant Live
Green - 1st click on the key (sometimes light green with white stripe

This may be of use

http://www.minifinity.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=207&t=80766

This should be about right for your car.

http://www.auto-wiring-diagram.com/1389-wiring-diagram-of-1977-1978-mini-special.html

Cheers,

Mike
mikeeskriett

Return to Information for the interest of Midas Owners Club members