first test drive

Please post general information for the interests of Midas Owners Club members here.

first test drive

Postby 1971saab » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:06 am

High members,I'm the guy on the other side of the pond who bought a orange mk2 on e-bay. Well when I got the car it was a mess! Rewired most of the car, rebuilt the brake system,refit the dash,aligned and refit the metro cluster,refit the seats and carpet,went through the carb,valve lash and full tune up. so I went down to our D.M.V. and got her on the road. Now today I drove her for the very first time, and Oh Boy She IS Quick! what gives? my friends 1275 cooper S didn't feel like my girl! How many Midas cars are in the U.S. ? I have lots more to do, but if you see a orange flash go by it might be me. thanks, Robert White
1971saab

Re: first test drive

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi Robert,
Glad to hear you love your Midas. There are only a handful in the US. I know of a trader who imported these in the US and sold them as Mini specials. There is at least another Bronze (also reported on this forum) and there is someone with a blue metallic Gold convertible in Florida.
Also one Gold mk3 coupe was once in the US. I bought a factory built LHD Gold mk3 on Jersey (the UK island) and later found American coins in the seats and the name of the company (Twin Cam) written on the parts. This car is now in Sweden.
Hans Efde

Re: first test drive

Postby manifold » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Hello Robert.

Welcome to the Midas forum.

Isn't the internet great! I love seeing all our Midas friends from all over the world connecting to talk about these wonderful underrated cars :).

I am sure you will find out lots of useful info on this site by many friendly faces. Please feel free to ask away!

I think the Mk2 is a fast car as its directly based on the Mini Marcos white is quite aerodynamic compared to a Mini (and doesn't rust!)

All the best,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Return to Information for the interest of Midas Owners Club members