MOC Website - Suggested Changes

Please post general information for the interests of Midas Owners Club members here.

MOC Website - Suggested Changes

Postby lankyjames » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:57 am

Hi all,

Looking for some feedback on any changes that could be made to the site, I have amassed some ideas but would like some input, the list also serves purpose as a reminder for myself so there will be links to software / scripts used to complete the below.
Add Pages:
    For Sale / Classifieds: Direct advertisements for classifieds, plus ebay links to interesting items: with links to a forum post discussion / for sale thread.
    Downloads / Links: We have the archive backed up as discussed here, however it is not very user-friendly, will make a change to look like this using the same script.
    Event Calendar: We have events listed on the news page, and they are browsable by the Category: Upcoming Events, I'd like to add a browsable calendar page to further complement this, possibly adding a calendar widget to the side bar using the timely wordpress plugin.
Change:
    Gallery Page: The gallery is a bit long winded to use, looking to consolidate to one page and possibly using lightbox2, see herefor a demo.
    Header image: Possibly change this for something that is less pixelated? I have already re-made the Midas logo and lettering to be more crisp. Ideas for new header image appreciated! I quite like what they do over at Team GTM using a unmistakable picture of their marque.
    Joint Magazine News: Add news posts on the release of the latest joint magazine, including front page and contents listings, similar to what Hans did on his website.
I also would like to mention that the websever will be changing sometime very soon - so expect a short possible downtime while I figure how to move all things across without breaking it!

Would people be interested in members gallery, whereby owners could upload their photos (Midas related only) such that they could be used / posted onto the forum, browsable by viewers to the site or are people happier to remain on image/photoshack etc?
lankyjames

Re: MOC Website - Suggested Changes

Postby lankyjames » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:52 pm

Pages added as above, please have a look and provide input!
I think the calendar could be very useful, just needs populating!

http://midasownersclub.co.uk/
lankyjames

Postby DavidL » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:14 pm

Looks good to me!
DavidL

Postby lankyjames » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:00 am

History page update, please take a look!

Changes:
    Changed Photos to higher quality and better size - all images are 250px wide in the article and 800px wide expanded.
    Added LightBox2 image viewer (click on images to see!) - allows user to scroll through images, without linking off-page
lankyjames

Postby Stuart » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:59 am

Just had a quick look James. Is there an easy way back to the home page from the photos?
Stuart

Postby lankyjames » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Hi Stu, on which page?
If you have clicked an image on the 'History' page, you have the following options:
The left and right of the image will scroll through the selection of images. ( you can also use arrow keys)
The close button is at the bottom right corner - alternatively if you click 'outside' of the image pop-up, it will take you back to the page you were viewing.

I haven't changed the Gallery page yet if that is where you have ventured to!
lankyjames

Postby Stuart » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:24 pm

lankyjames wrote:I haven't changed the Gallery page yet if that is where you have ventured to!

Ah yes it was the gallery I visited, my misunderstanding. the clickable images are much better on the history page.
Stuart

Postby lankyjames » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:31 pm

Not a problem, I haven't gotten round to that bit yet! :D

Also, I have added a bunch of dates into the calendar to populate, I still need dates for the BBQ / Workshop Open Day etc.
lankyjames

Postby cortezkeeper » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:22 pm

All in favour of user friendly MOC website. Particularly like the idea of clear and separate for sale / wanted page also taster preview of next mag. This latter had been discussed, so why not ?
Michael.
cortezkeeper

Postby davidj » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:22 pm

Hi James

What a difference, I really like what you have done.

One exception is the new banner. I think the slice of car does not do justice to our pretty little cars. May be heighten the banner so that it shows more of the front of the car. At the moment it does not sell the brand.
The Club is about to publish the programme for the year by email. As usual you will get the email for publishing on the web site when the members receive theirs.
I have several photos taken over the last few years which you may or may not have already. I will send them as attachments to your home website, please use as you see fit on the MOC website.

Well done James.
davidj

Next

Return to Information for the interest of Midas Owners Club members