mag topics

Please post general information for the interests of Midas Owners Club members here.

Re: mag topics

Postby kelvink » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:10 pm

You are all right!

We are well and truly in the twenty first century now and the internet has very much taken over, just look at the high streets. The club does need to move forward and as much as I do like and look forward to a good magazine to read, ninety nine percent of the time it's the internet that I look to for information on things. I suspect most of the other users of this forum do too and apparently that's well over 200 folk.

The club does organise a lot of things , which most of us do take for granted. It is worth supporting the club and we do need to all pull together and in the same direction. Unfortunately though there's only a handful of people that take an active role in things but that's pretty much the case for any organisation. There are a fair amount of costs incurred running any kind of club and these days particularly, people are looking for value for money and are aware of things being more and more expensive. However if any of you do go along to just one of the many club supported events I think you will find that you will get a pretty good deal for your subs to the club , its not just a magazine we benefit from. I recommend to anyone that they join in and take an active part in what is going on rather than just sitting on the sidelines, it's far more rewarding and enjoyable to be part of something rather than just an observer.

Regarding the magazine my article unfortunately was simply too late to get in this next issue but it will be in the following one and others after that too as I intend to write about what I have been and continue doing to my car. Whilst doing a number of things with my car I have spoken with Alistair on countless occasions and I can tell you that the Midas is certainly not stagnating. I know of some excellent developments in the pipeline but I can not tell you about them and it's for Alistair to reveal these as and when he is ready and able to. The mods I am making to my car will be in future issues of the magazine and I dare say Alistair is bound to do some articles too on what he does also.

There's lots of people up to all sorts of things with their cars, why not share them and write something to help us all benefit from being a group of enthusiasts who love these little cars.
kelvink

Postby b1zbaz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:33 pm

I'm going to write an article about my rebuild of my gold coupe which was brought back with the moulds from Germany
b1zbaz

Postby benofbrum » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:21 am

b1zbaz wrote:Hans I could not have put it better myself a new Midas is needed an it needs to be blisteringly quick and incredibly stiff for top notch handling with jap car reliability. Quote added to post by Stu

why blisteringly fast? My 8 valve Excelsior has taken two people and luggage to the Mosel Valley, Bruges, Lot Valley and French Alps, including the highest main road in Europe, with only 70 odd BHP.Surely one thing that any prospective kit car builder is looking for is that mechanical and suspension parts will be available for a number of years to come.
benofbrum

Postby Stuart » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:16 am

I've added a quote of what you were replying to Ben, I hope you don't mind, it had me scratching my head looking.

Very few people view Kit cars like that these days I'm afraid. Even though petrol price keeps rising the majority of kit car buyers still want power and speed.
Stuart

Postby kelvink » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:12 am

Stuart wrote:Very few people view Kit cars like that these days I'm afraid. Even though petrol price keeps rising the majority of kit car buyers still want power and speed.

Indeed it's actually a dilemma I am looking at right now myself as I'm considering an engine change in my Mk2 but do I go for power or economy????? Lots to choose from.

I've driven at over 150mph and I've also had over 79mpg average I love both but why can't I do both in the same car? :-(
kelvink

Postby Moneypit » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:52 pm

kelvink wrote:
Stuart wrote:Very few people view Kit cars like that these days I'm afraid. Even though petrol price keeps rising the majority of kit car buyers still want power and speed.

Indeed it's actually a dilemma I am looking at right now myself as I'm considering an engine change in my Mk2 but do I go for power or economy????? Lots to choose from.

I've driven at over 150mph and I've also had over 79mpg average I love both but why can't I do both in the same car? :-(

It's the same with motor bikes. Many are considered toys for occasional use. Fast and furious. The true hacks have never seemed as economical as they should be.
I've ridden at 150 mph, had as little as 20 mpg but very rarely got much over 50mpg from any engine over 500cc.
Moneypit

Postby DavidL » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:14 am

Moneypit wrote:
kelvink wrote:

It's the same with motor bikes. Many are considered toys for occasional use. Fast and furious. The true hacks have never seemed as economical as they should be.
I've ridden at 150 mph, had as little as 20 mpg but very rarely got much over 50mpg from any engine over 500cc.

The bike I have just now (it's a BMW F800GS) would do 60mpg from its 800cc when I was running it in, although I can't keep the speed down enough to get more than about 55mpg these days... :)
However, there's a lot of truth in what you say; when I started riding bikes about 1971, a motorbike was definitely viewed as cheap transport. That category still exists, but I returned a £20,000 motorbike to its owner today...
DavidL

Previous

Return to Information for the interest of Midas Owners Club members