Corby factory pilgrimage

Please post general information for the interests of Midas Owners Club members here.

Corby factory pilgrimage

Postby fozzza » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:40 pm

As well as visiting the Oldam factory which I really enjoyed I also had an interest in visiting the Corby factory site. It has been 30years since the tragic fire and also 30years since I collected my MK2 Kit from the factory. This now seemed the appropriate time to make a pilgrimage. So firstly I did a bit of investigating looking at old photos and Google earth to establish where the exact site was, and what was left of any original building and how much the area had changed. I believe St Lukes road has been extended to accommodate delivery vehicles to the new Tesco that has been built. This road alteration threw me for a bit but then I managed to locate the original site and so in August a visit was made in my MK2. It was a bitter sweet moment, happy to return but also sad. The original site is now used as a self storage facility.

ImageDSC_0895 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0902 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr

A Corby factory open day
Imagec01 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr

Trying to replicate the Midas line up that this MK2 missed
ImageDSC_0912 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr

The demonstrators outside the factory
Image45351332104_18dbe5a75c_b by Roy Forrester, on Flickr

The most compelling evidence to confirm the factory site is the filled in concrete trench which is also visible on the above photo
ImageDSC_0891 by Roy Forrester, on Flickr
Roy
fozzza

Re: Corby factory pilgrimage

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:14 pm

Awesome bit of detective work. Thanks for sharing. Makes me a bit melancholic though.
Hans Efde

Re: Corby factory pilgrimage

Postby Gustywinds » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:56 am

Fascinating bit of history. The Flickr picture by Roy Forrester is exactly as I remember it from when I visited in 1986. The Mk3 May even be the demo car I drove, it was certainly a B reg.
Gustywinds

Return to Information for the interest of Midas Owners Club members