Moffat 2012

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Moffat 2012

Postby johnnyfixit » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:36 pm

Just received my application yesterday anyone else up for not breaking down this year??? :P
johnnyfixit

Re: Moffat 2012

Postby DavidL » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:08 pm

If I do (and I might) it'll be a last minute decision, like it was last year for me but without the same excuse of "just having bought a Midas"...
DavidL

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:34 pm

337.3 miles, 6hours 23min...sorry, I'll have to pass on this one...
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby DavidL » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Geoff Butcher wrote:337.3 miles, 6hours 23min...sorry, I'll have to pass on this one...

Wimp!
I'm planning to go to Stoneleigh this year - first visit in about 18 years.
371 miles, 6 hours 27 minutes. :D

(whether I make it or not, and whether the Midas is ready in time, still remain to be seen!)
DavidL

Postby johnnyfixit » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:47 am

WoW 33.7 miles in five minuits :o thats bravery
johnnyfixit

Postby alberto midas » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:49 am

faceofdoh,

Hope you make it to stoneleigh, I have been awarded the longest midas traveled to the show trophy three times and it is getting embarrassing as I only travel two miles more than Alan Donowho and Victor arrives from Glasgow two late to claim the trophy ! Youll get a nice trophy guaranteed. You can tell people you won the LE MANS 24 HOURS in your Midas .
Cheers Alberto
alberto midas

Postby Alan D. » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:13 pm

faceofdoh wrote:If I do (and I might) it'll be a last minute decision, like it was last year for me but without the same excuse of "just having bought a Midas"...

Hi David,

I think everyone should appreciate Moffat is really a two day event, this is what makes it differient to other classic car shows. On the Saturday, the have the sceanic run of about 40 miles and the picnic at St. Mary's Loch. This is a great event, the atmosphere and comaradery is great. You start off by being piped (Scottish bag piper in full regallia, for our Euro friends) out of Moffat. There are also hundreds of people lining the streets, no matter if it is rain or shine, to wave you off! There are usually about two hundred assorted classic cars on the run. Unfortunatly in these days of regulation, the run always follows the same rought, but they reverse the direction every year. In the past the used to have a number of differing roughts, around the beautiful Dumfris and Galloway, but alass this is no more, due to the health and safty regulations! This event is not to be missed as there is nothing else quite like it this far north!
The Sunday is a very large static car show with some 900 cars, auto jumbles, trade stands, more modern classics displayed in the club area. There is a Scottish pipe band playing all day. raffles and other money raising events, all in aid of cancer charities. The sun always shines (lies). I think we had nine Midas's last year, we ususally stay at my holiday home (http://www.scotlandchalet.com ), so the expense is minimal. If anyone wants more information, I've done various reports on this event, which can be found on this forum or in the TGT magazine.
So David, to rush down for just one day, you are not really doing the show justice. By the way if you are going to Stoneliegh why not join on to our N.E. convoy, then we usually have enough tools and spares to get you home, as we all stick together.

My entree went off today.

We just need to sort out the Croft Nostalgia weekend now!
Regards Alan
Alan D.

Postby DavidL » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:43 pm

Alan D. wrote:Hi David,

I think everyone should appreciate Moffat is really a two day event, this is what makes it differient to other classic car shows. On the Saturday, the have the sceanic run of about 40 miles and the picnic at St. Mary's Loch. This is a great event, the atmosphere and comaradery is great. You start off by being piped (Scottish bag piper in full regallia, for our Euro friends) out of Moffat. There are also hundreds of people lining the streets, no matter if it is rain or shine, to wave you off! There are usually about two hundred assorted classic cars on the run. Unfortunatly in these days of regulation, the run always follows the same rought, but they reverse the direction every year. In the past the used to have a number of differing roughts, around the beautiful Dumfris and Galloway, but alass this is no more, due to the health and safty regulations! This event is not to be missed as there is nothing else quite like it this far north!
The Sunday is a very large static car show with some 900 cars, auto jumbles, trade stands, more modern classics displayed in the club area. There is a Scottish pipe band playing all day. raffles and other money raising events, all in aid of cancer charities. The sun always shines (lies). I think we had nine Midas's last year, we ususally stay at my holiday home (http://www.scotlandchalet.com ), so the expense is minimal. If anyone wants more information, I've done various reports on this event, which can be found on this forum or in the TGT magazine.
So David, to rush down for just one day, you are not really doing the show justice. By the way if you are going to Stoneliegh why not join on to our N.E. convoy, then we usually have enough tools and spares to get you home, as we all stick together.

My entree went off today.

We just need to sort out the Croft Nostalgia weekend now!
Regards Alan

Hi Alan,
I'll try to make it for both days this year, if I do have the time available to go to Moffat. I just seem to have an endless list of things to do about the house which fill my weekends nowadays!
I appreciate the offer of joining the NE convoy to Stoneleigh. I think I'll pass though; after years of going on organised rideouts on my motorbike, it struck me with a resounding thud just recently that I don't really like travelling in convoy with other vehicles and much prefer travelling solo! I find that I never want to travel at the same speed as everyone else, as well.
I'd make an exception for Moffat on the Saturday though!
I'd quite like to go to Croft, as well, but that might be stretching things a bit; I have a trip to Devon coming up too, and I'm only insured for 5000 miles a year... :)
DavidL

Postby Geoff Butcher » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:58 pm

Sounds as if D&G is bandit country, if you're restricted to certain routes on health and safety grounds! I can imagine ginger haired men in skirts lying in wait for unsuspecting sassenachs and blasting them with rocket-propelled haggis! OK, you can heve independence, just stay on your side of the wall :lol:
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby midasnut » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:56 pm

Just put my entry in the post for moffat, I've also passed the event details to Alan H. who came up from High Wycombe to croft. he's up for Moffat so that should put a few miles on his midas. Could we get a few more of the southern contingent to venture north of the border?
Dave H
midasnut

Next

Return to General meets and events