Anyone in Dorset area fancy a fun day?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Anyone in Dorset area fancy a fun day?

Postby kelvink » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:08 am

'Righty ho I went along to this a few years ago with some folks from PistonHeads and it was a really good cheap day out....

I was in a car that was far too powerful to be competitive at the time and a Midas I think is ideally suited. Soooo anyone in the area here is a chance for a cheap fun day out and the car does not even need to be road legal

If anyone wants to have a go at very low cost, very low risk motorsport read on...

I belong to a car club (Bournemouth and District) and they host a variety of events throughout the year. These include tarmac rallies, sprints etc which require helmets, overalls and fully prepared competition cars... BUT they also have events you can enter in your standard road car - whatever it is.

A good example is happening at Blandford on 2nd December. They are hosting a tarmac slalom. Any car can be used - anything from a MOT failure 1.0 Corsa (which can be very competitive!) through to a standard Fiesta, MX5 or even TVR Chimaera can and have taken part. No car preparation at all is required and you don't need a helmet or race suit.

A few years ago I invited a group of PHers in Elises, an SLK55 AMG and even Peter in his Viper. We all had a brilliant time. The only real expense is tyres - if you choose to drive a fast RWD car smoking the tyres everywhere as Peter did (and I often do )

I have previously entered in my old MX5, TVR Chimeara and tarmac rally car and Miss Notax in her Elise - but really anything goes. Last time a couple of friends bought MOT failure BMW 328s and ragged them to death...

The event consist of driving as fast as you can against the clock on a set course around cones. Only one car is on the course at any time and all there is to hit are cones. The correct course around the cones is shown on a map you are given and you can take a passenger to give you directions! Entry is only £20 plus £5 (I think) to join the club for a day.

Let me know if you'd like any other info
kelvink

Re: MOC Committee Meeting - 7th December

Postby cortezkeeper » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:16 pm

Good offer ! I live east of Southampton and we visit daughter in Verwood, Dorset, so perhaps can meet up some time ?
Michael.
cortezkeeper

Postby kelvink » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:53 pm

Verwood is not far.

Certainly open to meeting up with anyone in the area. I know there's at least one Midas in Dorchester and mine's in Blandford
kelvink

Postby Rich » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:13 am

kelvink wrote:Verwood is not far.

Certainly open to meeting up with anyone in the area. I know there's at least one Midas in Dorchester and mine's in Blandford

Not quite Dorset but I'm just 6 miles west of Lyme Regis.
Rich

Postby kelvink » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:35 am

Lyme Regis is fine I passed by from Exeter the other week.

As I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum there's an event coming up in Blandford which might be fun for some Midas participation
kelvink

Postby cortezkeeper » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:15 pm

This Dorset - or thereabouts - group looks good ! Can I suggest we try to arrange a gathering ? I - and no doubt most others - am a bit tied with the approach of the festive season but maybe something in the New Year, weather permitting ? Open to ideas.
Michael.
cortezkeeper

Postby kelvink » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:14 pm

Might I suggest we move the Dorset chat across to here... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1756

As I think this really ought to be where this 7Dec MOC committee meeting is being discussed really, though I may well now make the meeting after all. (not promising yet)

I've moved some of the posts over to this thread Kelvin. Stu
kelvink

Re: Anyone in Dorset area fancy a fun day?

Postby kelvink » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:17 pm

I should have my workshop sorted shortly in Blandford, so perhaps this could be a meeting place.
kelvink

Postby kelvink » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:52 pm

I've moved some of the posts over to this thread Kelvin. Stu

Wooh I wondered how all of a sudden there were replies to my original post! ;) Thanks for that

As it says at the top, there's a slalom event at Blandford Army Camp on 2nd of Dec that may be of interest to people it's fun and cheap (£25) to take part in for the day and ideally suited to a Midas or two. But if people have another date they would like to suggest I'd be happy to see what could be arranged perhaps.
kelvink

Return to General meets and events