Mini club day Zwolle 23 June 2013

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Mini club day Zwolle 23 June 2013

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:11 pm

I met Peter Camping today on the Mini club day at Zwolle, Netherlands. Terrible weather with storm and rain, so not many people. Anyway it was nice to have a chat again with Peter. We hope to join a number of other meetings this summer. I did 160km's today, a good shakedown. No problems with the engine, pulls strong but I noticed the lambda goes lean when the engine has to deliver more power, f.e. with gusty headwind. Very strange. Also still the annoying squeak. It only happens when the car is on the move, not stationary. So now I wonder if it is a brake problem (although I checked them at arrival and they were cool).
Here's a shot of us on display, more in the same timeline at flickr.com:
Hans Efde

Re: Mini club day Zwolle 23 June 2013

Postby Rich » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:32 pm

Both cars are looking good Hans. Would leaning out under load be something to do with the piston spring being a little weak for the engine?

I'm stabbing in the dark here, but it sort of makes sense to me.
Rich

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:30 pm

Rich wrote:Both cars are looking good Hans. Would leaning out under load be something to do with the piston spring being a little weak for the engine?

No idea, but I can check. I have a stronger spring which I can test. But also the engine builder will have a look at the carburettor this week for adjustment. It's a temp fix though just for running in the engine. Fuel injection should solve all the problems (and probably generate a few new ones) which will be a nice autumn/winter project.
Hans Efde

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Hans Efde wrote:
Rich wrote:Both cars are looking good Hans. Would leaning out under load be something to do with the piston spring being a little weak for the engine?

No idea, but I can check. I have a stronger spring which I can test. But also the engine builder will have a look at the carburettor this week for adjustment. It's a temp fix though just for running in the engine. Fuel injection should solve all the problems (and probably generate a few new ones) which will be a nice autumn/winter project.

This evening I visited the engine builder who adjusted my carb. According to him a strong spring is only necessary if you want to change the powerband of the carb. With a stronger spring the powerband in which the carb works is put at a higher level. He changed the oil in the damper for a thick engine oil. I usually use ATF fluid but he put 10W40 or even thicker in. This increases the torque of the engine. We slimmed the needle a bit more down and adjusted the CO at stationary. The engine pulls fantastic but still in 4th gear above 4000rpm I get lean figures on my display. But according to him that's no problem, modern engines run lean in the upper band as well to conserve fuel. As long as the engine isn't holding back, it's okay. Anyway it is amazing already how fast this engine is, and it still needs to run in. Can't wait to get the ECU in and put it on a rolling road.
Hans Efde

Return to General meets and events