Midas Run The A712 "the Queens Way"

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Midas Run The A712 "the Queens Way"

Postby Rich » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:49 pm

max midas wrote:
kelvink wrote:I'm about as far South as you can get on this island but I'm no Southern Softie (parents are geordies and I grew up walking up the likes of Honister and Kirkstone Passes in my wellies as a lad! Not to mention Striding Edge)

'We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife' :lol:

Aye, but if you told the kids of today that, they'd never believe you..........
Rich

Postby Alan D. » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:28 am

Well at least we've got a bit of interest and fun back on the forum. Let's make these events work. I'm getting bored with car shows. I've seen 100 year old cars doing these passes with the V.S.S.C.. Surly even my 998 cc Midas will get up the hills. So far I'be reconnoitering the passes in my Ford.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Alan D. » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:08 am

The A712 "The Queens Way" 2006. This is actually Clatteringshaws Loch.

Two of these cars have changed owners, is it your car now?

Alan
Alan D.

Postby b1zbaz » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:18 pm

I wanna do it but money is tight an the car is not even taxed at the moment
b1zbaz

Postby kelvink » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Certainly reminds me of some great drives through that area many years ago. Has to be done

I'll be along to the Mini World Action Day at Castle Combe as that's on the same day down here in the South but I have to say if I was in the Midlands I would be heading North!
kelvink

Postby davidj » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:57 am

Hi Alan.

Well done for getting this run off the ground, I hope you get many Club Members and non members along.

Its a pity that you chose the same weekend as Castle Combe as I would have enjoyed doing the run in the convertible. We will think of you as we enjoy ourselves at Combe.

If you run it again next year, on a non clashing date, please count me in as I would love to do your run.
davidj

Postby Alan D. » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:38 am

Sorry David,

I didn't realize it was the same weekend. The main reason I choose this weekend is that it is the last weekend before my road tax runs out, after this weekend my convertible goes int hibernation until the spring. This year has been pretty busy with one thing and another and I was disappointed that our diminishing northern Midas group (and any other cars who wish to join us) has not had many runs out.

So hopefully we may get a little support.

It's very frustrating as you know, when you go to the trouble of trying to organize something and it is not supported, especially when your are committed to making arrangements a long time in advance. I.E. booking places for a car show of some sort.
I was hoping that the Croft Nostalgia weekend would be a Northern Midas gathering, but the organizers changed the age rules which made our cars ineligible for this event!

So the only way forward is to organize your own event and make sure you make yourself eligible!

So lets see if it is supported.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby b1zbaz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:31 pm

How much money fuel wise are we looking at from manchester overall ball park figure would do
b1zbaz

Re: Midas Run The A712

Postby Stuart » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:05 pm

b1zbaz wrote:How much money fuel wise are we looking at from manchester overall ball park figure would do

340 miles roughly https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Ma ... mra=ls&z=7 (I don't know your exact location) there and back, plus the actual run (Alan how far?) 100 miles round trip?

Say 440 miles, 44 mpg from the Midas perhaps, 10 gallons! all approximate of course.
Stuart

Postby Alan D. » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:33 pm

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Dg ... s&t=m&z=11

There you go that's the planned route about 75 miles, but we may do the forest drive "The Raiders Road" It's beautiful with a picnic site called "The Otter Pools". Depending on the weather and if people don't mind getting their cars dirty as it is off road, but all part of the adventure.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserRe ... tland.html

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/2309600

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=the+o ... 20&bih=943

I think I'm going to apply for a job with the Dumfris and Galloway tourist board!!!

Alan
Alan D.

PreviousNext

Return to General meets and events