Historic British Sports Cars at Burford

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Historic British Sports Cars at Burford

Postby kelvink » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:48 pm

Well I'm sure most folk got well and truly rained on on Sunday but being as I'm on the South coast I was lucky to follow the clearing rain up North to Burford on Sunday and make the most of the day. Had a cracking cross country drive with great music playing as I wound my way along lovely twisting country A roads missing out all the motorways and dual carriageways. Just what a Midas is built for I do believe :)

So a friend of mine happens to organise this event and has a collection of 60s British Sports cars plus an original Fiat 600. He was in his bright orange Rochdale for this one and I had mentioned it to Alistair who was just half an hours drive away. So he and Tony also popped along in their Midases which also grabbed a fair bit of attention and much positive remarks about them being very cleverly designed cars.

So here's some photos of some other classic british sports cars no one's heard of.....

And mine I tucked away at the end of the line still got admiration particularly the "huge boot space!"
kelvink

Re: Historic British Sports Cars at Burford

Postby ACourtney » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:09 pm

You seemed to bring the good weather with you on Sunday. I had been in my workshop at Enstone and the rain had lashed down all morning and barely believed you when you called to say that you had blue sky and sunshine. Still it was worth the drive over to Burford to see all the classic specials.

Here is your mate Richard's Rochdale:

Orange Rochdale.jpg
Rochdale Olympic Phase 1
Orange Rochdale.jpg (403.9 KiB) Viewed 17399 times

I just love Rochdales. Have done ever since I first saw a "Lancastrian Porsche", who knows perhaps one day I met get my hands on one.

Here's a rather nice Gilbern GT:

White Gilbern.jpg
Gilbern GT
White Gilbern.jpg (279.8 KiB) Viewed 17399 times

And Turner or two :

Red Anthea.jpg
Turner MK III
Red Anthea.jpg (350.09 KiB) Viewed 17399 times
ACourtney

Postby ACourtney » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:15 pm

It wouldn't allow me to load up a fourth photo in that post so here's the other Turner:

Green Turner.jpg
Turner MkII
Green Turner.jpg (309.03 KiB) Viewed 17398 times

I don't recall hitting a limit on photo's before?
ACourtney

Postby benofbrum » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:48 pm

I was on my way back from Winchester on Sunday afternoon after collecting a Moulton bike and noticed the orange Rochdale, Gilburn and E type. Much more enjoyable trip back than the very wet run down the M40 and A34, even in a Citroen Xsara Picasso.
benofbrum

Postby Geoff Butcher » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:07 pm

Kelvin, do you know what the red car in your third picture is?
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby ACourtney » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:26 am

It is an early Buckler. Possibly a MkV, well I had labelled the photo as Buckler Mk5. Anyone else know better?

Here it is a few years back when I last got up to the Burford meet.

Buckler Mk5.jpg
Buckler MkV ?
Buckler Mk5.jpg (285.75 KiB) Viewed 17355 times

When I see photos of these cars with the bonnet open it is tempting to think that the engine has been taken out. Those old Ford side-valve engines were tiny by modern standards. The 1172cc Ford block is probably 3/4 the length of an 1100cc K-series engine. As for the BMW straight six we were looking at in a Z3 based body-kit earlier, well that was probably three times the length of the old Ford engine.

Benofbrum, Kelvin left Burford following his mate in the Orange Rochdale, so you didn't spot the burgundy Midas at the same time?

So what had happened to you Kelvin?
ACourtney

Postby kelvink » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:47 pm

I went up in my Midas on my todd and came back following Richard in his Rochdale via Marlborough, Salisbury and Blandford

The Etype is fairly local to me in Dorset and is homed near Wimborne it maybe the upward trip that is being referred to as I think they did a convoy from Romsey up, though there were also a lot of special cars at Wilton near Salisbury for a Supercar and Sports car gathering on Sunday too.
kelvink

Postby benofbrum » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:23 pm

Alistair,
Maybe the sun shining off Kelvin's car dazzled me and I did not recognise it. Or, more likely I was still trying to decide whether the orange one was indeed a Rochdale or an early TVR or perhaps a Falcon.
benofbrum

Postby kelvink » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:45 pm

The sun sadly never dazzles off my Midas Gold Coupe. the state of the bodywork must put it as the worst Midas body shell on the road but it is a lovely shape all the same

Sent from my Nexus 7 Using ForumTouch for Android
kelvink

Postby benofbrum » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:21 pm

It's on the road and improving, that's the main thing,Kelvin
benofbrum

Next

Return to General meets and events