Newark kitcar show

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Newark kitcar show

Postby midastastic » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:30 pm

Took my first trip to a kitcar show this weekend and came away with mixed feelings. On the one hand it was a most enjoyable day out and on the other it was a little disappointing.
Having just purchased a mark 1(chassis no 42) needing some loving, I went armed with notebook, camera, plethora of questions and a tuna sandwich!
Only to find that the manufacturers of certain types of kit car are, well, poorly finished to say the least. Fuel tanks squashing brake lines, suspension packed out with washers instead of nicely turned aluminium spacers etc etc.
I guess I may be spoiled having worked for race teams over the years and paying meticulous attention to details. But then also trying to understand that not everyone has the use of race team facilities or the know how but just gets a certain satisfaction out of driving and owning a kit car that they have built.
I will be doing my utmost to do a concise detailed build on my midas, because of my training. I will not be throwing money at it but refurbing and refinishing where I can.
Having not finished a project before, I still am in awe of anyone who has.
Tuna sandwich was awful!
midastastic

Re: Newark kitcar show

Postby Stuart » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:55 pm

I guess a Mini show is going to be far more interesting to a Midas owner these days.

Of the kit-car shows these days I'd only consider the Stoneleigh show worth going to, and even that show has become a poor event compared to the hey-days 20 or so years ago.

I look forward to your rebuild progress, and seeing some of the race-car details finding their way into the Midas.
Stuart

Postby johnnyfixit » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:29 pm

Well done to the five Midas 's who turned up and made it back though (North East does us proud again) :D
but the car of the show for me was this :shock:

What I enjoyed was the second hand stalls that Stoneliegh some what was lacking in numbers but as it was my first time at Newark so I can't compare to previous years ;)
Other than that not a bad turn out during the world cup season.
johnnyfixit

Postby Stuart » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:26 pm

Where would we be without the NE men in their Midas' ? oh yes I know ... no Midas cars at Newark, keep up the good work :)
Stuart

Postby lankyjames » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:31 pm

I turned up! Admitedly to purchase a bumper for the Gold on the driveway.

Unfortunately didn't have any guys to come and say hello to any of the Midas owners that had turned up, not knowing any of you, and having not bought mine felt a little left out... haha.

Got some photos though and they are on the midasownersclub.org website. Head there to see bigger versions, and also the other cars I snapped up!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Johnnyfixit, could you email me your newark kit car show photos, would like to add them to the gallery if thats ok with you.
lankyjames

Postby issigonis59 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:44 pm

Oi ! Stuart!

We were there at Newark on Sunday (Couldn't get on Saturday due to work!)

Good job we had two cars on the road to take though as we were the only ones there!

Rach :-)
issigonis59

Return to General meets and events