wiper blades

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: wiper blades

Postby DavidL » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:54 pm

tankosl wrote:Hi All,

Thanks for all your responses.........

I think I'll have a look for some 14" flat blades then...........

Does the standard fitting kit have an option for the Mini arms????

Have a look at this link, shows a blade with a selection of adaptors. I'd think the bayonet type is probably in there somewhere, I wouldn't recognise it but I'm sure you could...
http://df2004.en.made-in-china.com/product/sbNnEVlMZaho/China-Multi-Function-Flat-Wiper-Blade-DF-901-.html

Alternatively, you could source a pair of Fiat 126 wiper arms. You might even have to do that to accommodate the longer blades. Not sure what fitting they take though, I haven't been out to the car recently...
DavidL

Postby tankosl » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi all,

My car came without wiper arms and blades....... :(

The wheelboxes are mini from what I can tell, I've bought replacement mini arms that fit well, but I need to sort out a new set of blades............ :?

I hope this isn't going to be a problem.......
tankosl

Postby DavidL » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:59 pm

Your wheelboxes will almost certainly be Mini, but I don't think the knurled end where the arms fit is specific to Minis; I think the original build manual is somewhere on the site, it will tell you which wiper arms to use. Just look for the build manual for a Mark 1 or Mark 2 (Bronze, Silver, or original Gold (not the Mark 3 which uses the Metro wiper system)).
DavidL

Postby tankosl » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the info.......

I've got the original build manual and I've seen nothing about the wiper arms/blades, but perhaps that means I need to look harder???? ;)
tankosl

Postby DavidL » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:33 am

tankosl wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the info.......

I've got the original build manual and I've seen nothing about the wiper arms/blades, but perhaps that means I need to look harder???? ;)

Not necessarily. I haven't read the Bronze build manual since 1985, I had assumed the info would be in there somewhere, but it may not be. Hopefully someone else might be able to give you a definitive answer!

(I'd already downloaded the Gold build manual but not the Mk 2 manual, which I can't access just now. The Gold's manual specifies using standard Metro wiper arms, with slight modification (bending the arms slightly) and using 14" blades. The Gold also uses the same Fiat screen as the Mk 1/2 but the position of the wiper spindles may be different, so the Metro arms may not work on the Mk 1/2.)
DavidL

Postby tankosl » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:36 am

I think I'll look out for some metro ones and have a play...........
tankosl

Postby Stuart » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:53 am

tankosl wrote:I think I'll look out for some metro ones and have a play...........

Metro ones won't work on mini spindles, Metro spindles have a thread on the end so the wiper arm is held captive by a nut.
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:31 pm

A111 wrote:
tankosl wrote:I think I'll look out for some metro ones and have a play...........

Metro ones won't work on mini spindles, Metro spindles have a thread on the end so the wiper arm is held captive by a nut.

You're quite right, my apologies. I'd forgotten that.

Tankosl, I do hope you haven't already gone and spent money on a pair. If so, I apologise...
DavidL

Postby tankosl » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:09 pm

No problem, I haven't bought any yet thanks.......
tankosl

Postby Howard » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:48 pm

I'm tinkering with wipers at the moment.

So far I've found LandRover Defender arms to be a good alternative. Britpart produce lots of cheapo goodies for Lannies & the arms come in both spline & bolt on varieties - they just need the bend at the end straightening out a little. They also do splined adapters, if you fancy getting "Blue Peter" with some scrapyard booty. 16, maybe 17, inch blades look to be the biggest you could get away with if you sort out the geometry.

I'm sure I've seen Fiat 126 wiper arms (on a Mini rack) recommended in a build manual somewhere.
Howard

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 1