track width of mk1 Midas

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

track width of mk1 Midas

Postby miniswift » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi,

I would like to find out track width of mk1 Midas for front and rear.
Alan told me that the rear is narrower than the front. I found out that Midas has same wheel base as Mini Van/Estate/Pickup and 84in(2134mm).
I have bought a mx-5 rear subframe, bottom arms, top arms and hubs with drive flanges. I need to know the track width of mk1 rear flange to flange if anyone can help me.
Also, I would like to know the front track width too.

I suppose I can go and visit Alan and measure but I'm lazy!

Cheers
Atchi
miniswift

Re: track width of mk1 Midas

Postby Stuart » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:53 pm

I'd suggest going wider than stock Midas at the rear, of course you'll need some wider wheel-arches, but it'll look so much better for it.

I may be able to measure a complete built up rear subframe tomorrow when it's light.
Stuart

Postby miniswift » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi,

Thanks, I know about narrower in the rear.
I'm hoping to make mine wider than front but I need to either cut subframe or actual arms. I will have gearbox with diff in a subframe so that it become an integral parts to it.
I'm hoping to have coil over but I don't think I can keep std inner wheel arches to go with this setup. I'm not sure I want to go "BIG" wheel arches. But I will have either group 2/5.

Cheers
Atchi
miniswift

Postby Stuart » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:52 pm

As I'm sure you must be aware the front track is standard mini. The later mk2's had slightly wider front arches than the mk1's and early mk2's. you'll be able to see that on Alan's white mk2.
and yes don't go made, try and work with the original arch profile, nice and subtle if you can.
Stu
Stuart

Postby miniswift » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:37 pm

Hi Stu,

Problem is that I don't have a std Mini front.
My other project has 4 pot vented discs with slightly... modified subframe (read heavily)... Alan has seen it.
It has a modified Swift 1.3 16v Gti engine in it with a 5 speed gearbox. So if I make my Midas one same as my other project, I will be OK?
I was thinking of making may be minimum of 2"(50mm) wider than front. So that my arms can still be long ish.
I shall assemble this weekend and take photo of how wide it will be.

Cheers
Atchi
miniswift

Postby Stuart » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:27 am

So if I make my Midas one same as my other project, I will be OK?

I would say so, Metro vented discs on Mini hubs add about 8 mm each side to the track, you can see the poke on my Avatar car, having said that my white mk2 has the same brakes on 5" wide 12" wheels and the position of the wheels in the arch is spot on.

I was thinking of making may be minimum of 2"(50mm) wider than front

That's going to look a real beast, even matching the front track will give the back-end some width. But like you say the longer the arms the better able you'll keep the geometry in check.

A bit like this I expect http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/docs/d ... tag=Midas1
Stuart

Postby miniswift » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:20 pm

Hi Stu,

What size tyres are we supposed to use?
I'm hoping to fit 14" wheels but could it be too big for mk1?
I have 185/55-14 with Swift Gti alloys.....
I think I would need to make my subframe narrower so that I can have longer arms.
So you think if I make track width same as front, it will be much wider as std!?

Cheers
Atchi
miniswift

Postby Stuart » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:30 am

I've had 175/60-13's on my mk2 in the past, that was with a fairly lofty ride-height, I think the 185/55-14's will be pushing it, incidently I have that size on my Micra.

http://www.fatboyraceworks.com/gears/in ... &Compare=1

Actually according to the above site they're exactly the same size, so yes that should just work

I think matching the front track will look best yes, I guess you'll have to play around and see what looks best. standard track is at least 3" narrower than the front if my memory is correct.
Stuart

Postby miniswift » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi,
According to Hans web site it has 1240mm front and 1210mm back track width.
So by fitting 4 pot vented discs front brakes, it will make it 1260mm which is about 2" narrower.
Is this correct?

Cheers
Atchi
miniswift

Postby Stuart » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:06 pm

Yes that sounds about right, when my car is on the trailer the difference front to rear is very noticeable.
Stuart

Return to Mk 1