Door frame issues

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Door frame issues

Postby MrBounce » Mon May 07, 2012 5:32 pm

My Mk1 has problems with the door frames. These sit proud of the door aperture at the top of the door by some 20mm, which makes it do a very good impersonation of a sieve. They were like these even with the door seals in place, which previous owner Andy mentioned were possibly not the correct ones anyway.

Is there a way to adjust these? I can't believe that they would have left the factory like this. The rest of the door fits beautifully - I just don't know how to fix this. Is there some sort of easy adjustment?

Here's a pic to show you what I mean - it's the same on both sides.

MrBounce

Re: Door frame issues

Postby Hans Efde » Mon May 07, 2012 7:35 pm

I once glued pieces of wood inside the doors to give frames a bit of tilt against the monocoque. But it always will be a weak spot. To cure rain ingress you need 2 doorseals. A reasonable big O-seal on the monocoque edge and a T-seal on the doorframe. This wil close the gap and solve windnoise and rain getting in. There is more info on my website in the tech. section, but here's a sketch I made:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/hansefde/assets/ ... e_fig2.gif

Also very important make sure the rain does not run from the window onto the doorcards. I glued pieces of rubber on the doorcards:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/hansefde/assets/ ... 9b86e0.gif
It took me a while to find this leakage, but spending a few hours in the car in the rain solved the mystery of the wet carpets.
Hans Efde

Postby Geoff Butcher » Mon May 07, 2012 9:03 pm

Are you sure the frames haven't cracked where they meet the top of the door? I've got a nasty feeling mine are going to need some attention eventually :(
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby b1zbaz » Tue May 08, 2012 8:05 pm

finally a problem i can help with i cut a piece of plywood into 50mm strips and drilled and countersunk 2 captive bolts through and then cut a groove in the strenghtening bar at the bottom and then bonded the ply to the inside of the door making sure i put plenty of the bonding agent around the bolt so it was held nice and tight and then when you slide the frame into the door the bolt should sit in the groove and then simply put a nut on it and pack it out till your happy with how stiff the doors are i have done mine very very stiff and they sit quite nice and more importantly dont leak if the way i have explained it is a bit pants then please say and i will take my doorcard off and send you a photo but it works a treat for me and also takes the strain off the welds
b1zbaz

Postby MrBounce » Wed May 09, 2012 6:02 pm

Be good to see some photos of that Baz. I can't picture what you've done! :)
MrBounce

Postby b1zbaz » Sun May 13, 2012 10:18 pm

hi sorry about the wait on the photos i have been mad busy im taking the engine out next weekend so will take a doorcard off then and gets some pics posted
b1zbaz

Postby b1zbaz » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:25 pm

will post pics tomoz
b1zbaz

Postby kelvink » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:11 am

I'd appreciate photos of your fix too b1zbaz as I've got the same problem on my car with a broken frame too.

See below, my broken frame.

I've not taken my door apart yet but I am concerned about the rusting self tappers and have been looking at other doors over the weekend so I'm going to be most likely making some mods to mine. I'm going to be at the Open Day at Enstone and maybe this might be one of the topics to have a chat about with others there.
kelvink

Postby lankyjames » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:51 am

Just another bump for photos baz, I have the same issue currently. I find the door is hard to shut fully, which is the major problem really.

As when I shut it from outside of the car, the door is flush and the frame meets the rubber - albeit with not much pressure that would make it waterproof!
lankyjames

Postby b1zbaz » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:25 pm

b1zbaz

Next

Return to Mk 1