Front Subframe Mounts - Solid or Rubber?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Front Subframe Mounts - Solid or Rubber?

Postby MrBounce » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:34 pm

I've come to the part where I need to start amassing some more parts, and the front subframe has reared its ugly head. Should I mount it using solid mounts or should I use some solid mounts? I am not interested in poly mounts as they're a "nothing" mix of the two.

I will be using spreader plates for the front and rear mounts regardless of type used.
MrBounce

Re: Front Subframe Mounts - Solid or Rubber?

Postby ACourtney » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:41 pm

The choice really comes down to what you are looking for:

If you want the most direct feedback and handling, then solid mounting is the way to go. Especially when the steering rack is on the bodyshell (Metro based models have the rack on the subframe), the solid mounts improve steering feel and reduce nefarious steering effects due to the subframe moving.

However, the ride will be harsher and noisier. If it is comfort you are after then rubber bushes are the way to go. In which case, don't be so quick to dismiss polyurethane mounts. In my experience polyurethane bushes last longer and, if specified properly (i.e. not the hardest grade), improve the ride compared to standard rubber bushes. Polyurethane is a better shock absorber than rubber, so if the same hardness of bush is used the polyurethane bush should give a better ride.
ACourtney

Return to Mk 1