Rear Beam alternative

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Rear Beam alternative

Postby Alan D. » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:18 pm

I've been working on this project for a number of years, I get it wrong, leave the project and then come back to it. I've made about four of these beams so far, three of them scrapped for various reasons! I think I'm about there now. This one is fitted to a Mini, but the Midas Mk1 & 2 is just a shortened version of this beam. I also have a beam for the Mk 3 & 4 Midas, if you want coil overs. This beam will materialise, when I've finished the Mk 1 & 2 beam. Remember when looking at the photos this is just a prototype and is being refined all of the time, it's also in bare metal and will be much more attractive in paint. The idea was my original concept, then I got Aitchi involved and he did the CAD drawings and got the laser cutting done. We refined my original concept together. I did all of the construction work, there is an enormous amount of work, as it all starts out as laser cut flat plate and straight lengths of CDS tube. I've had to make and acquire machines to fold plate and bend tube.

I've made the beam so it has adjustment for camber and toe, something which has never happened on a Midas before. I can also accommodate two types of radius arm, the standard Mini radius arm or alternatively a metro radius arm. The advantage of the Metro arm is that it would increase the track on the rear of a Mk1 or 2 Midas, it is also mechanically better as it has two needle bearings. You would need wheel arch extensions, but that's for another day. I must add it feels incredibly strong and is also light.

Alan
Alan D.

Re: Rear Beam alternative

Postby Jin » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:11 pm

Looks fantastic, can't wait to see the version for the Mk4 Midas
How do the coilovers attach?
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Postby Alan D. » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:19 pm

Jin wrote:Looks fantastic, can't wait to see the version for the Mk4 Midas
How do the coilovers attach?

Hi Jin,

This was the old solution

But I have a new solution in the offing.
Alan
Alan D.

Postby Jin » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:00 am

Ahh, I see, do the rear arches need to be turreted?
Jin

Postby Alan D. » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Jin wrote:Ahh, I see, do the rear arches need to be turreted?

Another idea for you is; if you turret the front wings young can fit an MG TF sub frame, which is a bit more sophisticated the Metro sub frame, with bigger brakes etc..I have seen a Mk 4, here in the NE with MGF or TF 15" wheels fitted, it did look rather tasty!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Jin » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:52 am

Looks very nice mate, I did consider a tf front subframe which should enable me to use springs, but from what I can tell, all my front bodywork is in the way inc the inner wings,
As for the rear I can see no practical way to fit coilovers vertically?
My initial plan was to make brackets that bolt onto the hydragas mounts that would take coilovers.
How would you do a rover metro rear subframe?
Jin

Postby manifold » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:24 pm

Nice to see the beam in the photos. Looks great Alan. Will be interesting to see what you do with the arms.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby b1zbaz » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:53 pm

Question 1 do you use a mini as a roof box on your suzuki swift question 2 is that a brm rover and question 3 how the hell do you do such an awesome job of your ideas that's really impressive well done
b1zbaz

Postby Alan D. » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:27 pm

b1zbaz wrote:Question 1 do you use a mini as a roof box on your suzuki swift question 2 is that a brm rover and question 3 how the hell do you do such an awesome job of your ideas that's really impressive well done

Question 1
The Mini is a scrap body shell I use for sub-frame jigs, both front and rear.

Question 2,
Yes, that's a BRM Rover. I bought it in 2010 as an engine donor for a Mk 3 Midas, but it was too good to scrap. I put it on the road every now and then and use it as a spare car. I now have an MGF as a donor!

Question 3
I'm just a sad old man who keeps dreaming up schemes, trouble is I will have to live until I'm 150 years old to finish them all! Normal people go to the pub or the football match.

Unasked question.
What's the Suzuki Swift GTI doing there? Its a donor for a Mk1 or 2 Midas.
I'm retired now so jobs are getting done, the Suzuki will be stripped in the next few weeks, the body shell and the Mini body will be cut up and disposed off. The only problem is I have a little feral kitten that has taken up residence in the Mini. I feel as though I'm evicting it! I feed it every day.

Good luck with the sale of the Minus, I would have liked to have bought it but I have no room.

Thank you for your interest.

Alan D.
Alan D.

Postby b1zbaz » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:38 am

Well that straightens things up but your not a sad old man
b1zbaz

Next

Return to Mk 1