Rear Seats

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Rear Seats

Postby terry.midas » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:51 pm

Does anyone know what car the back seats were taken out of please as mine does not have any?
terry.midas

Re: Rear Seats

Postby fozzza » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:09 pm

I never had any for my MK 2 but if I'm not mistaken you could only get them from the Midas factory.
Roy
fozzza

Postby DavidL » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:23 am

I think that's correct. I'm almost certain they were made by Midas. I don't think there was a separate seat base, I think it was just padding and upholstery on top of the floor of the car.
DavidL

Postby ACourtney » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:30 am

DavidL wrote:I think that's correct. I'm almost certain they were made by Midas. I don't think there was a separate seat base, I think it was just padding and upholstery on top of the floor of the car.

That's right, the base padding was stuck to the floor, but there was a separate seat back, consisting of a simple steel frame and a plywood panel. This was hinged from the floor, giving a flat floor when folded forward, and was held upright by a pair of catches. I don't know where the catches came from originally, but it should be possible to adapt a pair of catches from just about any estate car to do the came job.

I will be picking up a Mk3 Coupe with the original rear seats fitted on Wednesday. I will try to take some photos of the seat back and catches and post them up.
ACourtney

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 am

The bottom is more than just cushions glued to the floor. Here are a few pics I received from Ed Darwinkel:

He sent me a large quantity of pics of the back seats. If anyone wants them, just PM me your private email address. I will then use Wetransfer to send the files to you.
Hans Efde

Return to Mk 1