Engine

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Engine

Postby Alan D. » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:51 pm

I've just acquired a Mk1 with a tuned engine, but it is misfiring at high revs. Is it now time for some fancy electronic distributor or ECU. If so which one do I get? The other problem I have with this car is when the car is ticking over there is a lot of vibration. The top engine steady has what looks like new orange Polybushes, I've not had time to check the lower engine mounts. The engine is not moving about, it seems solid enough, but I'm guessing the engine mounts are 36 years old, so it may be due for some new ones, again you A-series experts, is there anything clever I should be buying. The car has only done 27000 miles since 1981!

Alan
Alan D.

Re: Engine

Postby Mi das 1 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi Alan ye I would check your bottom mounts first , then check that the exhaust has proper rubber mounts and not been bolted solid to the body which would give you vibration.Your misfire at high revs,I would try new plugs first
Mi das 1

Postby streetsy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:31 pm

Should you end up fitting an ecu, I've used megajolt on a few cars, easy to use. There is one called no-diz about, looks better than megajolt as it doesn't need a Ford ignition module and has Bluetooth so you can alter settings on your phone.
streetsy

Postby Alan D. » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:40 pm

streetsy wrote:Should you end up fitting an ecu, I've used megajolt on a few cars, easy to use. There is one called no-diz about, looks better than megajolt as it doesn't need a Ford ignition module and has Bluetooth so you can alter settings on your phone.

Sounds like a plan, I'm a bit hesitant, as I'm not great with electrickery, but I would rather go modern. I'll do a search on them.
Thank you Alan
Alan D.

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:09 pm

I can certainly recommend Megajolt, but could the misfire be due to something fundamental like wrong mixture or dodgy coil?
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Alan D. » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:28 pm

Geoff Butcher wrote:I can certainly recommend Megajolt, but could the misfire be due to something fundamental like wrong mixture or dodgy coil?

Thanks Geoff,
I'll look at the basics first, but have got a couple of woodworking jobs to finish. With regards to the Megajolt, it certainly appeals to me, but I intend to change the engine in this car to something more modern, so investing £350 in a Megajolt is not a financially sensible move. I'm going to change the engine mounts first. But remember I'm in the frozen north. I was working in the garage yesterday and the temperature started at 2.3 degrees, I put a couple of heaters on and got a barmy 5.5 degrees, so only lasted a couple of hours.
Alan
Alan D.

Postby Rich » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:40 am

I'd be another one giving the thumbs up for a MegaJolt set up Alan, it's a shame the price has risen so much.
Rich

Postby Geoff Butcher » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:04 pm

£350!! Mine cost ninety-something built up and about fifty quid for the other bits and bobs...
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Alan D. » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:32 pm

Geoff Butcher wrote:£350!! Mine cost ninety-something built up and about fifty quid for the other bits and bobs...

Thanks Geoff, If I could have got one for £150 I would have bought one. But £350 is what is coming up on the search engines. If anyone knows of a cheaper source I would be happy to know about it. What about electronic distributers, are they worth considering? I just need to cure the misfire, it's a good engine apart from the miss!I think my next purchase in a couple of weeks will be about £200 worth of Dynamat sound proofing. I'm going to try and make a civilised Midas!
Alan
Alan D.

Postby benofbrum » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:20 am

Alan D. wrote:
Geoff Butcher wrote:£350!! Mine cost ninety-something built up and about fifty quid for the other bits and bobs...

Thanks Geoff, If I could have got one for £150 I would have bought one. But £350 is what is coming up on the search engines. If anyone knows of a cheaper source I would be happy to know about it. What about electronic distributers, are they worth considering? I just need to cure the misfire, it's a good engine apart from the miss!I think my next purchase in a couple of weeks will be about £200 worth of Dynamat sound proofing. I'm going to try and make a civilised Midas!
Alan

About half a century ago I tuned a 998 cooper generally following the advice of Clive Trickey and David Visard as published in Car & Car Conversions Plus a few embellishments of my own. The distributor was the standard one with Cooper S points and advance springs. It did not misfire up to an indicated 8000rpm. Only went that high once, but up to 7500 from time to time. I believe the engine is still in the Minijem Estate which found a new owner just before Stoneleigh last year.
benofbrum

Next

Return to Mk 1