Tower bolt spacers

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Tower bolt spacers

Postby oldnut45 » Thu May 23, 2019 12:43 pm

I'm getting pretty close to getting the engine into the car and checking the build manual under the heading " front subframe assembly" paragraph seven refers to spacers when fitting the tower bolts ? My car came with the subframe already separate from the car so I have not seen how the subframe is actually fitted, its all pretty straight forward but I have not seen any "spacers" for this situation. Can any tell me what these spacers are, I assume they are to prevent the fiberglass at this point being crushed?Size of these spacers would be great
Thanks
Graham
oldnut45

Re: Tower bolt spacers

Postby Stuart » Thu May 23, 2019 2:10 pm

I've pinched this from Geert's thread (no pun intended) Image

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2923&start=30

On my car they were just a piece of roughly cut tube held onto the tower bolt with masking tape, factory build too which aren't necessarily the best.
Stuart

Postby oldnut45 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:07 pm

Thanks for the picture Stuart, but can't work out what they are ? The picture seems to show a bolt with thread at both ends, is that the head of the tower bolt on the left ? what size is the tube, Dia, length, thickness /
Graham
oldnut45

Postby Stuart » Thu May 23, 2019 5:23 pm

oldnut45 wrote:Thanks for the picture Stuart, but can't work out what they are ? The picture seems to show a bolt with thread at both ends, is that the head of the tower bolt on the left ? what size is the tube, Dia, length, thickness /
Graham

The head of the tower bolt has been removed, the left bit is as per the standard bolt, I think the spacer is around 8mm long, I have tried to find an older post on these spacers but have drawn a blank sorry.
Stuart

Return to Mk 1