gear shift

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

gear shift

Postby midastastic » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi technical bods. I am rebuilding a mark 1 midas, chassis no 42. My question is this; supplied with a remote gear linkage and no engine/gearbox, I am slightly confused as the midas build manual says not to use the remote changer. It obviously fits as this was removed when the previous owner( trev bridges) sold the engine/box. The advice really I need is do I try and find an engine/box to fit the remote changer or is it best to find a rod box and update the linkage. The remote changer looks massively strong and I know Keith Calver uses one in his racing mini as it doesn't move around as much as the rod change. Help!
midastastic

Re: gear shift

Postby Stuart » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:47 pm

A rod change gearbox/engine will be easier to find and with the sleeved extension to the rods will position the lever in the correct position, I would imagine a remote set-up will have the gear-lever too far forward and need a bent/crank lever.
Stuart

Re: gear shift

Postby midastastic » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:47 pm

That does make sense as the gear lever has been cranked over and shortened. Will have to do a bit more research as I dont want to cut the tub any more than it already has been. Might be worth spending the time to find a remote box? Will keep you posted in midas cyber space!
midastastic

Return to Mk 1