Mark 1 or Mark 2?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Mark 1 or Mark 2?

Postby midastastic » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:19 am

I am trying to find out what I have brought exactly.
Registration - WFE 440W
Chassis number 42
It has quarter bumpers at front with indicators mounted in them, it has a plain Mark 1 bonnet. It has a plain rear bumper without fog lamps and a mini 3 dial dash.
The car is completely original, brought as a bronze kit from the factory in december 1980 and registered in 1981 by the factory (DH fibreglass)
Is this a Mark 2 with a few parts from the Mark 1 bin or a Mark 1 with a few parts from the Mark 2 bin?
Help!!!!!!!!! :roll:
midastastic

Re: Mark 1 or Mark 2?

Postby Stuart » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:09 pm

Chassis numbers starting DO1 will be mk1 and chassis numbers starting DO2 will be mk2 I would imagine.
Stuart

Postby Stuart » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:48 pm

Found it in a club magazine, clearly a mk1.

So the question is were later mk1's fitted with the mk2 front or has this car had a mk2 front fitted at a later date, anyone?

edit, OK Roger's mk1 is standard mk1 in looks and that is chassis 55, so it looks like yours has had a new front fitted at some point ;)
Stuart

Postby rocketron » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:27 pm

Maybe of some help, but my MK1, chassis no. 11, has the sidelamp/indicator units mounted low down, narrower arches, smaller section front spoiler and the "A" post front pillars of fully closed section rather than a "C" shape. The dash is 3 dial, from a 1275GT, flatter door cards with a very big pocket, can easily take a large road atlas, and the rear side trim panel and wheelarch cover is all one piece. The rear trim panel is different to my other cars in that the area around the rear light units is all as one piece, the later ones look as if they had covers over them. The fit between this rear panel and the side panels is shabby indeed. I think the roof trim panel is different, in that the interior light is directly above the windscreen and not above your head. The fuel filler pipe from filler cap to tank is convoluted rubber pipe, not steel and rubber connectors as on my other cars. The window winder knob is the same as the black spoked filler cap, awkward but unusual. The bonnet does not have a bump to accommodate the SU dashpot, door does it have any vents below the windscreen. Door hinges do not have grease nipples. All of these items are different to both my MK2's.
I'm ashamed to say that I've not looked at any of the cars for some time and the above is from memory, but at one time I did an awful lot of miles in the MK1, which was built from either a full kit, or a partially built factory unit; this was before the time of calling basic kit Bronze, partially built Silver and fully built The Gold.
rocketron

Postby midastastic » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:01 am

Chassis number D0 10042. Definately a Mark 1
Thanks for all the input guys, some interesting things to look for rocketron! Cheers
midastastic

Return to Mk 2