Replacement seats

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Replacement seats

Postby dusz » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:22 pm

The Huntsmaster seats in my MK2 have seen better days. The foam would need replacing and the seats recovered. I have seen that Mazda MX5 MK1 seats fit with a little modification to the runners but as these seats are quite old now the majority of are showing signs of damage particularly to the right hand bolsters on the driver's seat. So, I wondered if anyone had tried fitting other seats with success. I have seen the following seats but as they have "wings" at shoulder level wondered if they might be too wide to fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-RED-REC ... 3485&rt=nc

or

http://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/brand/fk- ... _1109.html

or are there any other cars that can be used as a donor, e.g. Subaru Impreza etc.

Sorry, don't know how to active the hyperlink on a post.

Has anyone fitted similar seats, or tried it and found that they did not fit. I don't want to buy a pair and then find that I cannot use them.
Thanks for any help.
dusz

Re: Replacement seats

Postby Rich » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:10 am

The cloth MX5 seats hold up well, the Rover Metro seats in the K3 I've just bought are surprisingly good, I think they are the GTi version, I've also got a set of Cinquecento seats which would go well.

Impreza seats are heavy old things, quite wide at the shoulders which may be a problem. Nice and comfy though. Recaros are definitely too wide.
Rich

Postby kelvink » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:58 am

MX5 seats work well and I think MGf also, though I'm making my own for two reasons. They are superbly good fit and they are very light oh and a third reason is because I can 8-)
kelvink

Postby mikeeskriett » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:34 am

I have MGF/TF seats in my Mk2 the fit pretty well if a smidge high in the base, they are the most comfortable seats I've ever tried in a Mk2 having over the years driven Mk2s with Corbeau, Ridgard, Hunmaster they were also better than the two types of Recaro's I've previously had fitted.
Attachments
_DSC0149.jpg
_DSC0149.jpg (582.31 KiB) Viewed 7522 times
mikeeskriett

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:07 pm

I also find the MGF seats to be very good
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Stuart » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:31 pm

dusz how tall are you?
Stuart

Postby dusz » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi. I'm about 5'10.

When I last drove the car (13 years ago now) fitted with the Huntmaster seats there was very little room between my head and the roof lining. In fact with the sunroof open there was more head room but the small amount of hair that I had would be sucked out through the sun roof. :D The seat runners were bolted with only small spacers between the runners and the floor to allow the seats to move front-back over the carpet so I didn't want seats with a much thicker cushion.

Many thanks for all the replies and what seats are suitable. In fact I have just managed to win some Mk1 MX5 seats on ebay albeit without runners. The description given says they are in pretty good condition - no splits or tears and they went for a reasonable price so not too much at risk.

Hope to pick up the seats on Thursday. Then I will have to get some runners and start the process of recommissioning the car - full brake strip down etc. May get it working again for next summer. I may even replace the sound deadening particularly on the front bulkhead as the foam sandwich that Dermot fitted is starting to break up.
dusz

Postby b1zbaz » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:50 am

Mx5 seats are awesome l fitted them to mine you can repair the bolsters yourself with a can of automotive foam and cut it to suit I fitted mine the opposite way round to stead the wear if you know what I mean
b1zbaz

Return to Mk 2