Rear Coil over shocks (again)

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Rear Coil over shocks (again)

Postby mfdriver » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:54 pm

Having had very helpful advice on how to find the compression load of Midas rear springs, I tried sitting on the spring and apart from nearly catapaulting in to the neighbours garden could only compress the spring 1/2"! (I weigh 12.5 stones)
The spring has 14 coils, is 12 1/2" long and 2.25" diameter.
I rang Faulkners for advice but they said I needed to find someone with a gadget that assessed spring load. So I rang Spax, who supplied the shocks etc in the first place, and have now sent photos of the old bits of kit.
Faulkners did say I could send them the spring and they would assess the load and process my order accordingly, which was helpful but has delayed process as today is early closing day at the Post Office!
I was just wondering amongst those who know about these things, that assuming all Midas's started off with the same springs if supplied by Midas, then surely someone knows what the generic loading is?
But it passed the MOT yesterday after 24 years off the road
Wahoo!
Malcolm
mfdriver

Re: Rear Coil over shocks (again)

Postby Geoff Butcher » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:06 pm

I've just taken the original springs off my Mk3, they're 12.75" free length and the rate by calculation is 107lb/inch. I've replaced them with 12" 90lb/inch.
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby mfdriver » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:10 pm

Thanks Geoff
I have just ordered 10.5" @ 110lbs from Faulkners - hope I have gone the right way with this
We shall see - I shall either drag along the ground or have my teeth shaken out :o or both!
Malcolm
mfdriver

Postby Geoff Butcher » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:55 pm

The ride is at least as much to do with the dampers as the springs. Despite having softer springs I have a harder ride with the new dampers because even with them on fully soft, they're too stiff for my taste.
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Return to Mk 2