Motorbike carb conversion

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Motorbike carb conversion

Postby mfdriver » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:24 pm

Anyone any experience of motorbike carb conversion on a 998 engine. Currently looking at various kits and would like any first hand feedback. And any suppliers if know of any!
mfdriver

Re: Motorbike carb conversion

Postby streetsy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:55 pm

I have messed with various carbs on 998 engines when I had minis before the Midas', I always found SU's to be the best for torque, I ran with two single choke downdraught Solex carbs (I think from a Ford Anglia), they sounded good but you had to thrash it to get anything from them. as for bike carbs, I had a Robin Hood with a 2 litre pinto engine which I put bike carbs, but that is a 4 port engine, a-series has only two ports. I used to make my own manifolds for the minis as to get the carb spacings right, I also made the bike manifold for the pinto engine. I would suggest look for carbs from a parallel twin motorcycle with similar power to you engine as then the jetting should be close and get it checked on the rolling road once fitted. Unless you have a 7 port head in which case 4 carbs would probably be best. If you make a manifold make sure the float bowls sit level. Bogg brothers or danst engineering make nice manifolds, not cheap though.
streetsy

Postby benofbrum » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:07 pm

Possibly carbs from the 1 litre Moto Guzzis on a twin SU inlet? The Cali develops around 70 bhp at about 6500 revs and are sometimes run on K & N's. Avaliable second hand from Gutsibits or Reboot. Newer Guzzis of 1.1 or 1.2 litres use fuel injection.
benofbrum

Postby mfdriver » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:23 am

Thanks guys for quick response. My son and I were thinking of buying some second hand Mikunis or Keihin 37 mm carbs and going from there, but it then looks more and more complicated for linkages between carbs., get proper cable set up, balance between carbs for vacuum, fuel regulator, manifold and air filters etc , so in the end those suppliers mentioned don't seem such bad value!
Will keep you posted
mfdriver

Return to Mk 2