Opening the bonnet

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Opening the bonnet

Postby Stuart » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:06 pm

Oh heck my bonnet won't open, guess I really should check the oil more than every 5 years.

The cable is solid, it's not the same one as I'm used to seeing. so time for some super slim arms either getting to the bonnet catch or removing the hinges :oops:
Stuart

Re: Opening the bonnet

Postby Geoff Butcher » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:09 pm

Ive often wondered how I would cope with that...
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Stuart » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:17 pm

Perhaps even worse is that the car is stuck and resisting moving, I'm using a 3 tonne van as an anchor, and its the van that is moving before the Midas budges.
Stuart

Postby max midas » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:22 pm

I had a similar problem years ago when my bonnet pull cable snapped.
I solved the problem as follows:
I gained access to the inside of the dash, and by using the two bolts that mounted the bonnet catch, I judged where the cable would attach to the catch.
I drilled a hole small enough to get a thin rod through, and used the rod to lever the catch open.
I could've filled the hole and painted, but as it's so discrete I left it just in case, for future use.
max midas

Postby Stuart » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:09 am

max midas wrote:I had a similar problem years ago when my bonnet pull cable snapped.
I solved the problem as follows:
I gained access to the inside of the dash, and by using the two bolts that mounted the bonnet catch, I judged where the cable would attach to the catch.
I drilled a hole small enough to get a thin rod through, and used the rod to lever the catch open.
I could've filled the hole and painted, but as it's so discrete I left it just in case, for future use.

Thanks, I'm not keen on removing the dashboard, but if all else fails. Mine's a MK2 so is double skinned just there, so access would be through the Mini inner wing vent pipe fittings that are positioned on the inner skin.
Stuart

Postby fozzza » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:51 pm

This is certainly a tricky problem. Without knowing whether it is the cable or catch that is seized even gaining partial access to the catch may deem futile. After work this evening and Im sorted ie (cut the back lawn) Im going to pop in the garage and Investigate on my mk2.

Regards Roy.
Roy
fozzza

Postby Stuart » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:12 pm

Just cut the road side verges myself, the council only come around once every four weeks or so here.

I'm fairly sure a rod through the offside wheel arch will do the trick, well that's what I'll be trying once I've had all the wheels off to free them and moved the car.
Stuart

Postby Stuart » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:11 pm

Reaching in with a rod looks extremely hit and miss, I couldn't see the catch.

Weetabix worked though, bonnet open and car moved, it is in a sorry state though.
Stuart

Postby fozzza » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:52 pm

Likewise I couldn't see the latch either so I think tackling the hinges may have been a more viable option, but I'm glad that brute force won the day with the bonnet, sorry to hear about the rest of the car.
Roy
fozzza

Postby ilmung » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:14 am

Maybe is a preventive measure a good thing to avoid later this problems ?
I mean you can make a second pull cable and let the cable somewhere in the engine compartment for example , so you can pull from the side /underside ......when you have this problem .
Anyway thanks for this info , I will certainely take this in account.
ilmung

Return to Mk 2