UNDERTRAY PLATE

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

UNDERTRAY PLATE

Postby ilmung » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:56 am

When I bought my MKII ,there were undertrays separately with the car .
I just wonder , do they have a significant effect on the handling of the car ??
Attachments
20161003_172300_resized.jpg
UNDERTRAY
20161003_172300_resized.jpg (943.94 KiB) Viewed 5716 times
ilmung

Re: UNDERTRAY PLATE

Postby Stuart » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:00 am

Those undertrays are for a mk3, the mk2 never had them, apart from a home made rear undertray made by Mike Perkins about 30 years ago.

They're supposed to give a bit of downforce, I can't honesty say I could detect any difference, but I never raced my car on a track to do any serious testing.
Stuart

Postby kelvink » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:25 pm

I can also confirm the undertrays pictured are Mk3 trays. I do have a Mk2 rear tray It's quite different as it is moulded to follow the Mini exhaust as opposed to the cut outs for the MK3 exhaust shown here.

There should also be some closures that fit in the front wheel arches for the Mk3 too which are not shown in the photo, These are said to make the difference as they close off more fully and prevent the air inside the bonnet leaking via the wheel arches under the car where there's a lower air pressure as a result of the tray under the engine.

I've run my Mk3 round Castle Combe and it does seem to hold the track well keeping up with Alistair's Mk4 with the K series engine but there's a lot of additional tweaks to this car compared to my Maroon MK3 so I can't say how much is the undertary.
kelvink

Postby ilmung » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:15 pm

yes , you both are right,I was wrong ...... it was together with the MKIII I bought , thanks for the reply !
ilmung

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:21 am

I have them now on my Convertible but can't tell the difference in driving. Biggest advantage is that it keeps the underside of the car clean. Especially the rear one. But I suppose the effect on the Coupe will be much bigger, it is a very aerodynamic car with the undertrays. Topspeed even with the standard engine is impressive although I never did the topspeed without the undertrays. I also once in my coupe had to get around an object on the highway at 130km/h. It was a split second move and I expected the car to break out and kill me. But no, the Midas didn't slip or spin, it was like it was glued to the road. Concerning the lack of weight of the car it was the most impressive experience I ever had with the Midas. I am sure the undertrays were part of the road sticky effect since they seem to generate about 60kg downforce. So to answer your question in normal driving circumstances you won't notice them except for perhaps better fuel economy, but in an emergency situation they can make the difference.
Hans Efde

Postby Rich » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:22 am

I found the car felt more stable at speed after the trays had been fitted.
Rich

Return to Mk 2