MK 2 rad removal

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

MK 2 rad removal

Postby Dessie 300 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:32 am

Hi Folks,
Does anybody know how to get the rad out of a mk2,and can this be done with the fan assembly still attached ?
All the hoses,the alternator,have been removed.
This is my third try at posting this,so it's a short postkeep getting error messages.
Any help appreciated.
Thank you.
Dessie 300
Dessie 300

Re: MK 2 rad removal

Postby goldeneye » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:45 am

Did you try to remove a front wheel, and then try to get is out trough that side?
Midas Mk II
goldeneye

Postby Dessie 300 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:54 pm

Hi Goldeneye,thanks for reply, the rad is still fixed to the car,l am unsure which fixings are holding it in,and whether it can come out with fan assembly attached,or the fan assembly must come off the rad first ?
The fixings l can see are 4 rubber bushes with metal tube inserts,2 at top,and 2 at bottom,and lve also found 2 large posi drive screws behind the front no. Plate.
It would be nice to know which of these fixings are actually securing the rad to the bodywork,so l don't disturb anything l don't have to.
This is my second attempted reply to you,this stupid page keeps crashing with an error when l try to post anything.
Dessie 300.
Dessie 300

Postby Stuart » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:03 pm

The screws you've found behind the numberplate hold the top brackets and need to be removed, the bottom mounts just sit in the rubber bushes at the bottom, so just lift out when the top brackets are released.
Stuart

Postby Dessie 300 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi Stuart,
Thanks, so if l just undo those 2 screws behind the no. Plate, l should be able to just remove the whole rad and fan unit ?
If so,l will try and get it out by lifting it up through bonnet opening, but Goldeneye thinks l may have to extract it via a wheel arch, going by his reply ?
Dessie 300
Dessie 300

Postby Stuart » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:50 pm

Dessie 300 wrote:Hi Stuart,
Thanks, so if l just undo those 2 screws behind the no. Plate, l should be able to just remove the whole rad and fan unit ?

I imagine it may be a struggle with those screws, but you could be lucky.

Dessie 300 wrote:If so,l will try and get it out by lifting it up through bonnet opening, but Goldeneye thinks l may have to extract it via a wheel arch, going by his reply ?
Dessie 300

Fairly sure you won't get it out through the top, there just isn't room. Wheel arch for sure, nearside may be best, but it's a long time since I worked on one now.
Stuart

Postby Dessie 300 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:39 pm

Thanks Stuart, l will give it a try.(when weather improves ☔️ )
Dessie 300
Dessie 300

Postby kelvink » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:36 pm

I've changed my rad a couple of times but had both good and disastrous results hence twice. It's been a while since I did it so can't really say how I did it but I do know that it's really tight and you have to get just the right angles. To be honest it's best doing it the long way rather than trying to save some effort. It also varies between all the different rads people have used.

Dessie 300 wrote:This is my third try at posting this,so it's a short postkeep getting error messages.
Any help appreciated.

Can you give us the error message so we can look into it please
kelvink

Postby Geoff Butcher » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:52 pm

When I had a Mk2 I know I didn't have to take it out through the wheel arch. I think I removed starter, distributor and possibly alternator, but when it's out, replace the Metro fan with something like a Pacet, which is much thinner and makes life a lot easier! With my Mk3 I think I took the oil filter housing off as well...
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Inim666 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:05 pm

I managed to remove mine from the top , alternator starter and dizzy cap off mine was held in with bolts on the brackets and was a right pain to undo... it all depends on if you have the facelift mk2 or early one without removable nose
Inim666

Next

Return to Mk 2