MK 2 rad removal

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: MK 2 rad removal

Postby Dessie 300 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:32 am

Hi All,
Thanks for all your help and suggestions,got the rad out by drilling out the rad mounting bracket screw heads,carefully,and then extracting the rad via the near side front wheel arch,after removing the wheel,and disconnecting the fan wiring,of course.
The rad and fan unit doesn't look very pretty, but if l can't find something new that fits,l may be forced to clean up,and refit the old stuff and hope it works for a while,but l don't really want to have to do that.
Any suggestions for new fans,anybody?
Thank You.
Dessie 300
Dessie 300

Postby Alan D. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:03 pm

Hello all,
Desmond needs a new radiator, I think he has the earlier Metro radiator with both outlets on the left hand side. Has anyone got a spare or know where he can get one?
I've had a quick look on EBay, but there doesn't seem to be many on there, He's been quoted silly money to have one made. I've been looking at alternative radiators from other cars, for a project I'm doing, a Renault Clio one seems to be about the same size, but this is not for Desmond as he needs a straight swop as he doesn't want to start re-engineering.

Regards to all.
Alan D.
Alan D.

Postby Stuart » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:17 pm

Alan D. wrote:Desmond needs a new radiator, I think he has the earlier Metro radiator with both outlets on the left hand side. Has anyone got a spare or know where he can get one?

The standard one is an Austin Allegro 1300 radiator Alan.
Stuart

Postby Alan D. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Stuart wrote:
Alan D. wrote:Desmond needs a new radiator, I think he has the earlier Metro radiator with both outlets on the left hand side. Has anyone got a spare or know where he can get one?

The standard one is an Austin Allegro 1300 radiator Alan.

Yes, I know Stuart, But Desmond wants to replace like with like as he has just purchased some expensive silicon hoses and does not want to change the configuration. I think I will have any Allegro one in stock, but that is not what he needs. I have an Allegro radiator in
my latest Mk 1 but would like to change it something with a slimmer fan and something that is not 40 years old! I think Alistair has also verified it as a Metro unit, but I believe, that it has the top up inlet on the top right, which I'm led to believe is in usual.
Regards Alan
Alan D.

Postby l_jonez » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:39 pm

I've been looking at mk1 golf rads they are a similar size
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282267738422
Ignore the price it was just the first one with a dimension, you can pic up the standard item cheap.
l_jonez

Postby Stuart » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:30 am

Alan D. wrote:Yes, I know Stuart, But Desmond wants to replace like with like as he has just purchased some expensive silicon hoses and does not want to change the configuration. I think I will have any Allegro one in stock, but that is not what he needs. I have an Allegro radiator in
my latest Mk 1 but would like to change it something with a slimmer fan and something that is not 40 years old! I think Alistair has also verified it as a Metro unit, but I believe, that it has the top up inlet on the top right, which I'm led to believe is in usual.
Regards Alan

Ah right, I misunderstood you sorry.
Stuart

Postby Alan D. » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:31 am

Stuart wrote:
Alan D. wrote:Yes, I know Stuart, But Desmond wants to replace like with like as he has just purchased some expensive silicon hoses and does not want to change the configuration. I think I will have any Allegro one in stock, but that is not what he needs. I have an Allegro radiator in
Regards Alan

Ah right, I misunderstood you sorry.

Not to worry.
I see you are working the night shift!
Alan
Alan D.

Postby Stuart » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:43 am

Yes logged in on the phone in bed, guessing I need taptalk or something to make it easier to use forums on.
and up early too, which is very unusual for me these days.
Stuart

Postby ACourtney » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:40 am

Desmond sent me through some photos as he was having difficulty uploading them to the forum:

Imageimage (3) by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr

The inlet, outlet and temperature switch, all look like a Mk1 Metro radiator, but I've not come across one with a take-off for the header tank at the other end:

Imageimage (21) by Alistair Courtney, on Flickr

However, I wouldn't claim to be an expert on radiators. Was this a version of an Allegro radiator, a Metro radiator, or something else altogether?

Desmond reports that the radiator doesn't leak and I reckon that it is just about salvageable. So if he treats the rusty bits now he should get some more use out of it, but that will only delay the problem of what to replace it with.
ACourtney

Postby Stuart » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:46 am

I'm pretty certain that that is indeed an Allegro radiator.
Stuart

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 2