Tailgate lock

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Tailgate lock

Postby Inim666 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:10 pm

Hi guys my tailgate lock has failed and I need to know the size of the lock if anybody knows as I will have to resort to butchering my original to get it out and destroying it in the process
Inim666

Re: Tailgate lock

Postby Stuart » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:55 am

They're just generic panel locks like this, although the photo and drawing vary on this example.

https://www.fastkeys.co.uk/multi/produc ... 0B004DE320
Stuart

Re: Tailgate lock

Postby DavidL » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:49 am

I changed the system on my Bronze's tailgate lock, but it was over 25 years ago so the details are a bit sketchy.

I'm fairly certain I got the idea from Mike Perkins, I got a lot of my Midas-related ideas from him!

I mounted a Metro doorlock into the right side of the rear panel, near the "Midas" badge, above the tail light unit. This used a cable to pull a release (made by me, but very similar in operation to the bonnet release) which was mounted just ahead and above the original slot for the original tailgate release.
I replaced the original tailgate lock with a threaded blank the same as the others in the rear glass, which then had a steel loop (made to fit into the release mechanism) threaded into it. I think my original idea was to replace the driver's door lock with a similar Metro door lock, to reduce the number of keys, but I don't think I ever went that far.

Another thought which occurred to me was the possibility of fitting an internal release cable to allow me to open the window from the driver's seat, but that remained "just a thought"...
DavidL

Return to Mk 2