Exhaust/fuel pump

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Exhaust/fuel pump

Postby mickyb » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:34 pm

Just refitted the carb and exhaust but the lcb looks far to close to the fuel pump for comfort.This was a factory build so has been used like this, anyone else come across this? Would it be better to change to an electric pump?
mickyb

Re: Exhaust/fuel pump

Postby fozzza » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:52 pm

My initial build of my Mk2 was with a mechanical fuel pump with an LCB, but I did seem to suffer some kind of fuel starvation at times that I never managed to rectify. So with my recent rebuild I changed to a Facet solid state pump with Big King regulater and fitted an inertia switch to the bulk head inside the car.
12 months on and I haven't experienced any of my old symptoms (finger crossed). There is only one criticism and that is the pump is little noisy, but a small price to pay which has seemed to cure an annoying fault.
Roy
fozzza

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:54 am

There is indeed not much room left for a mechanical fuel pump with an LCB:

. Yes you can install an electric pump, but this is quite a bit of work. For a fuel pump you need:
- fuel pump
- possibly a 1K resistance in parallel (or was it in series, I forgot what I did) to bring down the voltage, these pumps may be too strong for the carb.
- pressure regulator
- fuel return line
- fuel tank that has a pipe for the return line.

I have this arrangement because I bought my Midas with a turbo engine and it's all ex-turbo stuff. The nice thing is that it prevents vapourlock and it's easier to switch to an injection system.
Hans Efde

Postby Rich » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:10 pm

I've got the same set up as Fozza, works a treat and knocked the vapour lock problems on the head.
Rich

Postby mickyb » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:09 pm

thanks lads,I knew you would not let me down, I am surprised anyone read the post as I posted in the wrong place!!
Yes I think it will have to be electric I would just not be happy with it knowing that the pump and fuel line where that close to the manifold.
mickyb

Return to Mk 2