Rear frame MKII

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Rear frame MKII

Postby ilmung » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:22 pm

I had to remove the bolts which hold the rear frame to the grp body because I wanted to renforce the grp body at that area .
But the holes in the grp are much bigger than the diameter of the bolts , is that a normal thing ?
ilmung

Re: Rear frame MKII

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:25 pm

Just wondering why you think the body is not strong enough?
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby ilmung » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:32 pm

Thanks for the reply!
I do not say that the body is not strong enough but the diameter of the holes in the body are much bigger than the diameter of the body , is this a normal thing ?
ilmung

Postby ilmung » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:41 pm

When I said to renforce the body of the rear area.......because I was busy to renforce the area of the rearmounts of the front frame and making a sandwish panel of the floor to make it stiffer , I just taught to renforce also the rear area at the same moment ......just some polyester layers more :-)
I have a started a topic in engine conversions with a suzuki 1300gti +- 140 hp ....a reason why I want to renforce some things .
ilmung

Postby Stuart » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:36 am

They're not usually any larger than the bolts, however I believe the subframe as standard was fitted too far to the right when looking from the rear of the car, so perhaps the holes have been elongated to move it over to the left?

How tall are you? and am I correct in thinking you own this white mk2 as well as the one you're currently working on ?Image19xx Midas Mini Kit-car - White by Clive Barker, on Flickr
Stuart

Postby ilmung » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:29 pm

Hhi Stuart , thanks for the reply !
I will take a look to the other side and if the holes are elongated in the same way ......
I am 1.75 m and 82 kg , is there a reason you need to know this :)
Yes the Midas MKII is mine , but it's also the car where I am working on , how did you know that could be my Midas ?
I have sold the Midas MKIII of Alan last year to a good friend , but I own anohter MKIII who was since +-2004 in Belgium on the road .
Attachments
$_59 (Small).jpg
$_59 (Small).jpg (82.58 KiB) Viewed 4868 times
IMG_0144 (Small).jpg
IMG_0144 (Small).jpg (64.22 KiB) Viewed 4868 times
ilmung

Postby Stuart » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:02 pm

ilmung wrote:Hhi Stuart , thanks for the reply !
I will take a look to the other side and if the holes are elongated in the same way ......
I am 1.75 m and 82 kg , is there a reason you need to know this :)
Yes the Midas MKII is mine , but it's also the car where I am working on , how did you know that could be my Midas ?
I have sold the Midas MKIII of Alan last year to a good friend , but I own anohter MKIII who was since +-2004 in Belgium on the road .

I had thought you had another mk2 that you're working on, didn't realise it was that one, Brain a previous owner moved the subframe over and also spaced one side out a bit.

As to your height I'm wondering if you will still fit if you increase the floor thickness?
Stuart

Postby ilmung » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:55 pm

I understand now :D
Yes ,there you have a point but the double bottom will be max +- 30 mm/40 mm , I use some stuffing ( material to get the double bottom) of 4 mm thickness , so I can make 6 to 9 layers more .
For the layers I use triaxiaal glass fiber which gives a lot of stiffness, see https://polyestershoppen.be/glasvezel/g ... 2-514.html
As you already informed me , I make also the area where the rearmounts of the frontframe are fixed, a lot stronger and there I will use solid rearmounts .
The rear mounts will be made in that way so that I can always regulate the tension between the frontframe and the rearmounts .
My idea is : the frontsubframe is taken by the towerbolts but the frame itself is still movable and it's the job of the rear mounts to take/stop the movement of the frame .
But the frontmounts can also help to stop the movement of the frame ,so I 'll renforce the front (make it stiffer ) compared to the body ,so that the front frame is taken in place not only by the rear mounts but also by the front mounts , i think to make the front mounts with hard rubber instead of solid ,the front mounts will be made in that way that I can regulate the tension between mounts and frame .
ilmung

Postby ilmung » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:25 am

Is there any simple but accurate method to regulate the rear frame in width and height to the grp body ,
ilmung

Postby Stuart » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:10 am

ilmung wrote:Is there any simple but accurate method to regulate the rear frame in width and height to the grp body ,

Short answer no, I moved mine over to give tyre clearance, but I didn't measure anything. Brain measured and found the distance was different side to side.

Did you find the subframe was shimmed out on one side? Brian didn't share the exact details of how he did it.
Stuart

Next

Return to Mk 2