Vapour lock?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Vapour lock?

Postby manifold » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:02 pm

Yes the automatic block is fdefinately different on an A series, The oil filter is in a different place and screws on the offside (in UK) , facing forwards, as opposed to on an alloy mounting on the nearside (in UK) facing downwards.

I have a feeling its similar to the Maestro A series casting which is the same/similar.

Cheers,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Rich » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:29 pm

manifold wrote:Yes the automatic block is fdefinately different on an A series, The oil filter is in a different place and screws on the offside (in UK) , facing forwards, as opposed to on an alloy mounting on the nearside (in UK) facing downwards.

I have a feeling its similar to the Maestro A series casting which is the same/similar.

Cheers,

David

I'm not going mad then!

But will a manual 'box fit on an auto block? The Maestro used a VW (?) derived inline 'box IIRC.

Rich
;)
Rich

Postby gooseman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:00 pm

Those are nice pics Matti, your car looks very much like mine except mine has black bumpers/wheels etc...the ones with the 60s Chrysler products are interesting..must be a gathering of car guys??
As to vapor lock, you might try wrapping the fuel line with aluminum foil to insulate against heat..it is close to the header ...i put a Thermo-tec sleeve over the fuel line to protect it but foil should be just as good...jim
gooseman

Postby M.Ouvinen » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:32 am

Those were taken at the Helsinki cruising night. First friday night of every summer month gathers hordes of american car enthusiasts to the central marketplace square of the capital. (Only in the summer of course. Those were taken in may, and it was quite rainy and cold...)

And not just american cars, nowadays you see others too, and they're not even sneered at by the american car people. The Midas was always a crowd puller. ;)

-
M.Ouvinen

Postby M.Ouvinen » Sat May 15, 2010 3:40 pm

Hey all. My Midas is back on the road with a rebuilt engine. (1380cc with a fast race cam, bigger carb, tube headers).

The vapour lock is even worse now, since the exhaust manifold is now even hotter. It's hickuped a few times and stalled twice after running slowly in the traffic. The only thing that gets it running again after stalling is giving it a few sips of gas straight to the carb. Even after cooling down for a night the fuel pump will not pump fuel to the carb, no matter how long i turn the starter.

So, next up is a fuel line reroute. Now the fuel line from the mechanical pump goes straight past the exhaust manifold, and I guess that's the source of the problem. I'm guessing that alone will solve the problems...

But man, does this thing shift with the new engine! :D
M.Ouvinen

Postby manifold » Sat May 15, 2010 4:10 pm

I wired in a facet red electric fuel pump in mine, in rear, behind the rear cover. I have never had a problem.

Gives you a chance to put some extra security into the car too! I.E. No fuel....no engine running. ;)

Just make sure you fit a fuel cut out device. I fitted one in line at the back.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Alan D. » Fri May 28, 2010 9:48 pm

Just a daft thought!

I used to have a mini with a Weber downdraft carb. I had similar problems, but it wasn't vapour lock, it was icing up, yes even in the summer. We had the same problem when I was flying Microlights and small airplanes. Something to do with pressure differential, but I cannot really remember the science of it now!There were various devices for applying heat to the carb, which we used to do at regular intervals. It was a bit embarrassing too, when that fan on the front stopped! I was once just over a village at about 3000feet (1000 metres) near Newcastle airport. I went to adjust the throttle to drop the revs, to allow me to descend, but pushed the mixture control to full lean instead! It all went quiet!

Alan D.
Alan D.

Previous

Return to Mk 2