Radio Removal

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Radio Removal

Postby lankyjames » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:53 pm

I have an old style cassette radio deck in my Midas i think fit from factory and would like to change it for something newer, could anyone shed any light on how to remove the old radio?
Regards!
lankyjames

Re: Radio Removal

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:10 am

If it's din slotted, usually a plastic strip round the radio has to be pulled off and with keys (that are just steel wires) the radio can be unhooked and pulled out. If it's not, the radio will be bolted to the dash structure. Getting access to it is a pain in the bud since it will require removing parts of the dash, like the glove compartment and maybe even the instrument pod.
Hans Efde

Postby lankyjames » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:06 am

Thanks hans,
it doesn't look like it is DIN slotted, it's a very old radio/cassette deck that may have been factory installed.

This is the best photo I have of it and the dashboard;

I've found two screws on either side of the dash, but the steering column looks to close up and obviously the instrument pod is in the middle of the way too!

Any thoughts on how to remove all this?

Failing removal and more likely i have an under-dash plastic pod for a radio, and so will mount it from the heater, keeps the car looking stock, deters thieves etc.
lankyjames

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:20 am

If there are access holes underneath the dashboard, these may give access, else the glove compartment could be removed and you should have good access from the left side. If the dash has a cover this may have to be removed before the glove compartment can come out. This is the way the Gold coupe dashboard works, I suppose it's equal to the Bronze dash construction.
Hans Efde

Postby Rich » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:12 pm

On the old radios don't you pull off the knobs, slide off the fascia and unscrew the nuts from the spindles? It still doesn't answer the problem of removing it from behind though.

Rich
Rich

Postby Colin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:13 pm

If it is the same as my old Bronze pull the knobs off, then with a deep socket undo the nuts on the shafts. The plastic facia then comes off, under this you should find two metal plates that go over the shafts and stop the radio coming forward. Push the radio back about 1.5", slide the plates off the shafts and then pull the radio forward and out of the hole. It should pull forward enough to disconnect the wires.

Then you throw it in the bin and replace it with a modern DIN mount one but you will have to open the hole up in the dash to fit the DIN one. ;)
--
Colin
(Founder of the MOC but not making a big deal about it ;))
Colin

Postby Hans Efde » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:20 pm

Colin wrote:Then you throw it in the bin;)

No, sell it on Ebay! Anyone with a 70ties car in concours condition would love to fit a period style radio. These things could be worth money!
Hans Efde

Postby lankyjames » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:18 pm

Looked again at pulling this out...the front facia does come off revealing more nuts on the spindles through fibreglass, which i assume is the front facia of the dash as the leather of the dash is glued to it! i've since put it back on and i'll be mounting the radio elsewhere and keeping it all original looking on the dash front!
lankyjames

Postby alberto midas » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:49 pm

James,
I you cant remove your radio I think you will have to remove the whole dash to gain access.
First separate the steering column from the steering rack and remove the complete column.Remember to unplug the multiplugs under the dash. Once you have done it you have to remove the instrument pod. There should be 4 nuts under the structural dash dash which hold the pod. Remove them. Remember to disconnect the speedo cable.The dash pot should come out.
Next the dash. There are 2 self tappers at either end of the dash, by the doors. remove them
and the dash assembly should come out. Some bronzes also have 2 self tappers underneath the
dash but mine has not got them so I dont know their location.
hope its clear.

Alberto
alberto midas

Postby lankyjames » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Thanks for the instructions al, sounds like a hell of a job just to get the dash off!

I've decided I'm going to leave it in as its fitting for the car, going to hang my radio underneath the dash so it can be removed back to stock if needs be.

I've got all the leads in the mail and hopefully have it sorted over the weekend, pictures to follow!
lankyjames

Return to Mk 2