MIDAS MK2 1989 - PARTS INFO

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Postby d.woodspeed » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:48 am

Hi all,
I've just bought a 1989 Decathlon in need of some serious restoration! I would appreciate some advice on some of the parts, i.e. what "donor" car do they come from?
1. Door seals
2. Front windscreen and seal.
3. Rear hatch glass seal.
4. Headlights- I understand these were Allegro or Reliant,(which model?). Are there any other alternatives?
5. Radiator- Again I believe this is Allegro, but any other alternatives?
6. Seats-I know this is personal, but mine has none (!), so I've nothing to work on,i.e. to get something like the right height and width. Have you used standard seats from another car, or aftermarket seats such as Cobra/Corbeau etc. and what sub-frames? All suggestions gratefully received!
7. Wheels/tyres- what is most popular size/combination to have reasonable clearance, handling etc. The build mnual shows 12" and 13" diameter, but no widths.

My car has door seals which seem to push the top of the doors out, so I'm guessing they may be the wrong ones? The rear glass seal maybe wrong too as its not very watertight! The front screen seal is perished and I'd also like to have a Laminated screen to replace the existing toughened glass screen, which although in good condition, is not my ideal!

Advice/info on any or all the above questions will be appreciated!

Many thanks, Dave.
d.woodspeed

Postby d.woodspeed » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:20 pm

Hi all,
I have possibly put a post up in the wrong section. I would be grateful if you could all look under:"Paint/Detailing,Bodywork & Styling" and hopefully be able to help with some of my question!!!
Many thanks, Dave.
d.woodspeed

Re: MIDAS MK2 1989 - PARTS INFO

Postby Stuart » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:42 pm

Have you got a build manual Dave? If not you can download one from the link here viewtopic.php?f=81&t=245

and the direct link to lots more here http://midas.orba-design.com/

and more in the files section on the old forum here http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/mid ... ars_group/

good parts list here too http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/mid ... Rows&tbl=1

12" x 5" wheels with 165/60 tyres siut the mk2 the best
Stuart

Postby MikeW » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:53 pm

d.woodspeed wrote:Hi all,
I've just bought a 1989 Decathlon in need of some serious restoration! I would appreciate some advice on some of the parts, i.e. what "donor" car do they come from?
1. Door seals
2. Front windscreen and seal.
3. Rear hatch glass seal.
4. Headlights- I understand these were Allegro or Reliant,(which model?). Are there any other alternatives?
5. Radiator- Again I believe this is Allegro, but any other alternatives?
6. Seats-I know this is personal, but mine has none (!), so I've nothing to work on,i.e. to get something like the right height and width. Have you used standard seats from another car, or aftermarket seats such as Cobra/Corbeau etc. and what sub-frames? All suggestions gratefully received!
7. Wheels/tyres- what is most popular size/combination to have reasonable clearance, handling etc. The build mnual shows 12" and 13" diameter, but no widths.

My car has door seals which seem to push the top of the doors out, so I'm guessing they may be the wrong ones? The rear glass seal maybe wrong too as its not very watertight! The front screen seal is perished and I'd also like to have a Laminated screen to replace the existing toughened glass screen, which although in good condition, is not my ideal!

Advice/info on any or all the above questions will be appreciated!

Many thanks, Dave.

Hi

Was this the non-registered car advertised on Pistonheads in West Lothian for £550?

Best wishes
Mike
MikeW

Postby d.woodspeed » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:13 pm

Stuart, thanks for that info, I shall research those websites!
Mike, I bought the car from Wellingborough, similar price 'though, it is registered, but has been 'SORN' for many years!

I am still anxious for answers to some of my specific questions, so looking forward to hearing from you all! I need the answers ASAP, as my eldest son has great doubts that this project is going to progress, and I need to prove him wrong!!

By the way,I'm in East Yorkshire, any of you guys in this part of the world?

Regards, Dave.
d.woodspeed

Postby Rich » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:24 pm

Most of the answers to your direct questions can be found in the build manual that you'll find in Stuarts link to Hans archive above.
Rich

Postby d.woodspeed » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:16 am

Thanks for all that info, but I can not find any reference to the donor cars for the windscreen, door and rear hatch seals.

I also would appreciate info on what seats you all have in your MK 2's.

Cheers, Dave.
d.woodspeed

Postby Geoff Butcher » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:30 pm

Look at the 'Windscreen seal' thread
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Return to Mk 2