Still got brake problems!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Still got brake problems!

Postby Hans Efde » Thu May 26, 2011 8:34 pm

If you have a piston problem there can be 2 things: a) they leak or b) they jam (improper retraction ususal because of dirt or corrosion). It seems improbable to me that a sagging pedal is related to these pistons if you are not experiencing one of the above. If you still have the problem and there does not seem to be air in the system anymore (bubbles coming out), I suggest you go back to the basis of the troubleshooting.
To my opinion you would have to pump the m/c empty, remove the reservoir, check the position and stroke of the primary piston and check if the stop pin of the secondary piston is present. If necessary remove the m/c and check if the input motion of the brake pedal is correctly transferred through the brake servo. I.e. let someone stop the output pin and see if you can move the brake pedal down. If all is correct there should be no play between these 2 parts.
Hans Efde

Postby Geoff Butcher » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:32 pm

Does anyone know where I can get some of that spiral brake hose protector? I'm sure I've bought it in the past, but Google can't find any. If only I hadn't thrown away my old front hoses... :cry:
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby rocketron » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:31 pm

A friend got some spiral protector from a mini show in Stafford fairly recently, about £9/m, would think available from a mini show near you, perhaps. Aeroquip/Goodridge are still great value when bought as a full set, again very cheap from the shows.
rocketron

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:12 pm

After all the aggro I've had with the brakes on this car I thought I should be all right for a while after replacing everything bar the bundy tubing...then today the pedal went down to the carpet...investigation showed an empty reservoir! The warning light had not come on. This master cylinder can't have done more than a couple of thousand miles, and of course I failed to keep the invoice :evil: I'm getting seriously pissed off with this, never before had a car that seems to want to kill me...
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Rich » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:29 pm

Is getting rid of the BL/Rover master cylinder and so on an option for you Geoff?
Rich

Postby Geoff Butcher » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:20 pm

I think it's going to happen, Rich. Must start looking around for a spare Metro pedal box...
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Rich » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:11 am

Geoff Butcher wrote:I think it's going to happen, Rich. Must start looking around for a spare Metro pedal box...

I've got one with Midas length pedals knocking about I think.
Rich

Postby Geoff Butcher » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:12 pm

Well, I've spent nearly all day on brake bleeding duty. Looks like a repeat performance tomorrow...
By the way, why do these m/cs always come with a big bleed screw where the pressure reducer goes?
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Previous

Return to Mk 3 Coupe